Description: Church of All Hallows
Date Listed: 29 July 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 335783
OS Grid Reference: SK4936880961
OS Grid Coordinates: 449368, 380961
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3233, -1.2603
HARTHILL WITH WOODALL UNION STREET
4/35 Church of All Hallows
Church. Arcades of c1200, C13 chancel rebuilt 1897, otherwise C15, the north
aisle and chapel rebuilt 1850, restored 1886-90 by J. B. Mitchell-Withers.
Ashlar sandstone, lead roofs. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch,
3-bay chancel with south chapel in 2-bay overlap of aisle, north organ chamber
and vestry. Perpendicular style. Tower: chamfered plinth and moulded band;
stair-turret door on south side. Offset angle buttresses flank C19 3-light west
window with head-stopped hoodmould. String courses below and above west
clock; pointed 2-light belfry openings with louvres and hoodmoulds. Gargoyles
to north and south beneath embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Nave:
C19 gabled porch to bay 1 has pointed outer and inner doors. Bays 2 and 3, flanked
by buttresses, have 3-light hollow-chamfered surrounds beneath Tudor arches,
renewed tracery; string course beneath embattled parapet. 3 clerestorey windows
and parapet as aisle. North aisle has 2 C19 Romanesque windows with zig-zag
ornament, 2 clerestory windows as south; tall ashlar stack adjacent to tower.
Chancel: chapel windows as aisle flank C19 pointed priest's door with hoodmould,
chancel bay 3 has chamfered lancet window in rubble walling. Diagonal buttresses
flank C19, 3-light east window in Decorated style; aisle east windows in same
style, that on left reticulated. Flat-topped north addition. Interior: C19
tower arch and vault. North arcade: cylindrical piers with octagonal capitals
to 2-order round arches with light chamfers; south aisle piers similar but arches
pointed and double-chamfered. C15 roof with cambered tie beams, moulded purlins
and carved bosses. South aisle roof, C17 with some bosses. C19 chancel arch.
Two C15 double-chamfered arches into south chapel have crenellated imposts and
pier; trefoil-headed piscina and pointed-arched recess truncated by priest's
door. Fittings: octagonal font with corner shafts and arcading, Jacobean cover.
Fine, carved pulpit, lectern and screen by Carlo Scarselli, Florence 1877-80.
Royal arms of George II in north aisle; 2 benefactions boards in south aisle.
Wrought-iron screen in east bay of south chapel arcade, C16-C17; another at
east end of north aisle said to be from Kiveton Park. Stained glass: south
clerestorey windows said to be C16 (Garbett, p294). West window, 1876, by J.
F. Bentley; east window, c1898, by Kempe and Tower. A south window by Ulisse
de Matteis of the firm Francioni of Florence 1884 another to design of Holiday
by Powell, 1874. Monuments: behind screen at east end of north aisle and set
beneath a C18 round arch with keystone is a black and white marble tomb chest
to Thomas Osborne, Duke of Leeds (d1721); nearby a tomb chest to Hugh Serlby.
On chancel north wall a marble monument to Lady Margaret Osborne (d1624): kneeler
in recess facing right and flanked by columns and draped figures, open pediment
with finials and arm bearers.
H. Garbett, The History of Harthill-with-Woodall, 1950
Listing NGR: SK4936880962
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.