Description: Deutsche Evangelische Kirche
Date Listed: 9 August 1983
English Heritage Building ID: 336491
OS Grid Reference: SE1595232792
OS Grid Coordinates: 415952, 432792
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7912, -1.7593
5111 GREAT HORTON ROAD BD7
Deutsche Evangelische Kirche and
SE 1532 45/55O
Small church or rather chapel with attached double gabled minister's house, built in
1877 for the German immigrant community. Conventional Bradford architecture for
period, sandstone brick, slated roofs. Slight gothic features to ministers's house.
The distinguishing feature however is the canted projection to the south-west corner
which is surmounted by a small broached slate spire wing from the pyramidal slate
roof, striking a more Germanic-Flemish note. The church is of interest as an
indication of the importance of the German immigrant community on the worsted trade
in the second half of the C19.
Listing NGR: SE1595232792
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.