Description: Former Sion Chapel and Presbytery
Date Listed: 28 March 1974
English Heritage Building ID: 336534
OS Grid Reference: SE1698833089
OS Grid Coordinates: 416988, 433089
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7938, -1.7436
5111 HARRIS STREET BD1
28.3.74 Former Sion Chapel
SE 1733 35/151 - and Presbytery
SE 1633 SE 37/151
Now an Italian Club. Dated 1873, by Lockwood and Mawson for the Baptists.
Contemporary with the architects Town Hall but here employing a rich Italianate
classical style. Two-storeys sandstone ashlar, a large rectangular plan chapel
extending back along Peckover Street with presbytery occupying far end of site.
1:3:1 bay front. Engaged, richly carved Corinthian portico with central columns and
terminal pilasters backed by ¼ pilasters, deep entablature and modillion bracketed
pediment with acrotaria. The entablature is carried over one window slightly
recessed flanking bays with giant Corinthian quoin pilasters. Three panelled doors
to portico with broad pilasters supporting entablature at first floor level. First
floor windows in shouldered moulded architraves with small pediments and carved
apron panels. Carved scrolled lead decoration to circular date panel in tympanum
of portico pediment. One bay similar return to Peckover Street and plain sandstone
brick side range up to presbytery. This has a 2-storey elevation of 7 bays with sill
bands and bracketed eaves cornice. Slate roof, corniced chimneys. Recessed sills
with apron panels, the reveals carried down to sill band on first floor. Panelled
door with rectangular fanlight moulded cornice above on fluted console brackets.
Listing NGR: SE1698833089
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.