British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Michael, Clapton-in-Gordano

Description: Church of St Michael

Grade: I
Date Listed: 11 October 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 33669

OS Grid Reference: ST4677973536
OS Grid Coordinates: 346779, 173536
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4583, -2.7674

Location: Clevedon Lane, Clapton in Gordano, North Somerset BS21 7AG

Locality: Clapton-in-Gordano
County: North Somerset
Country: England
Postcode: BS21 7AG

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

ST 47 SE
Church of St. Michael
- I

Parish church. Norman origin, C13, north chapel c.1300, C15 additions to tower
and alterations, C19 reroofing and restoration, particularly in chancel.
Sandstone and limestone rubble, limestone dressings, slate roofs with raised
coped verges, crestings, cross finials, north chapel rendered with lead roof,
chancel chapel rendered. West tower, nave, south porch, north chapel, chancel
and north chancel chapel. Decorated style, some Perpendicular. 2-stage tower
has west lancet window of 2 lights with Y-tracery under a hood mould with dog-
tooth, 2nd stage has single pointed arched bell-opening with wooden louvres each
side, small lancet below to north and south; large diagonal weathered buttresses,
string course, parapet with pierced cusped triangles, gargoyle corbels; small
lean-to attached to north. Nave has former lower roofline visible to west and
east, lancet to right and left and sanctus bellcote to east; north side only
visible to west of chapel, blocked door with pointed arch, paired lancet with
trefoil heads above, external stack, tall 2-light window with cusped lights, flat
head and hood mould, buttress, attached single storey building with stone roof
and pointed arched door; 3-bay south side has similar 2-light cusped window to
left and 3-light Perpendicular style window to right, flat head and crocketed
hood mould, external stair turret to east for former rood stair with pitched
stone roof and lancet, buttresses. 2-storey gabled porch in central bay of
nave, has pointed arched doorway with wave mouldings and hood mould, 2-light
cusped window above with hood mould, heavy long and short limestone quoins and
wall stepped forward to right for stair to former upper chamber. North chapel
has tall 3-light east window of stepped cusped lancets, 2-light north window with
cusped Y-tracery (blocked) and tall west lancet; battered walls. 2-bay chancel
has Perpendicular 3-light east window, hood mould with mask stops, two 3-light
south windows with cusped lights, flat head and hood mould, central priest's
door with pointed arch and roll-moulding, similar 3-light north window; north
chancel chapel set in angle, similar 3-light north window, pointed arched 2-light
east window with stopped hood mould. Interior: tower has pointed arch in
sandstone with keel-moulded shafts with masks at tops, fine wooden screen,
probably early c14, said to have come from Clapton Court (q.v.), with 2-pointed
arches and roll-mouldings, plain shafts at sides and centre, shield of arms in
central spandrel, central circular opening and brattished top; former line of
nave above and blocked lancet. Nave has 8-bay roof, arched-braces, collars, one
row of purlins and ridge purlin, all principals moulded with carved bosses along
purlins, cornice and brattished wall-plate; to south, windows have rere-arches,
one hollow-chamfered and one wave-moulded; ogee-headed chamfered south door to
rood stair, former upper door blocked, chamfered segmental head to south porch
door, plain segmental-headed blocked north door, tall lancet to north chapel
(possibly former external wall) and wide pointed arch with 2 chamfered orders and
hood mould; tall pointed arch to chancel of 2 chamfered orders, with triple jamb
shafts with foliage on capitals, squint to left, 2 upper east lights have reveals
splayed to inner sides only. Porch has arched-brace and collar roof with
moulded wall-plate, stone benches to sides, mutilated Norman tympanum above
triangular-headed door with narrow wave-moulding, trefoil-headed holy water stop
to right, recess for image above door and small upper niche with moulded pointed
arch, east door to former chamber, as rood stair door. North chapel has 4-bay
C19 roof of arched-brace, collar and collar purlin, former tie-beams cut off
below wall-plates, corbels remaining to south, hood mould over arch to nave,
piscina with cusped arch, base for image on east wall, 4-centred arched door to
north chancel chapel. Chancel has 4-bay roof as in nave, probably C19
reconstruction incorporating earlier fabric, including carved figures at bases of
principals; pointed segmental head to south door, C19 reconstructed piscina with
jamb shafts to south, north squint to chapel with fragment of decorative painting
above, pointed arch to north chancel chapel, as nave arch, with restored capitals;
east wall has reredos with embattled cornice and fleuron frieze, Purbeck shaft to
left and right, re-set upside down with stiff-leaf capitals; chancel chapel has
C19 common rafter roof. Fittings: font in nave has quatrefoil bowl of C13 with
later carved faces on undersides; early C14 benches to rear of nave with
tripartite tops; wooden chest in nave, dated 1705; C19 carved wooden pulpit in
nave. Monument in north chapel to Edmund Wynter, 1672 and his wife, 2 kneeling
figures, with their daughter sitting under a prayer desk, Corinthian columns,
open segmental pediment and allegorical figures; C17 ledger stones. In nave,
stone tablet to Joseph Smith, 1745, and his wife, Speed; paired stone tablets to
Edward Willis, 1717 and his wife, Sarah. In chancel, painted stone oval tablet
with wreath, cherub and skull, to Ann Hinkes, 1701. (Sources: Pevsner, N. :
Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958. The Builder, 2nd
February, 1850, 57).

Listing NGR: ST4677973540

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.