Description: Banney Royd
Date Listed: 29 September 1978
English Heritage Building ID: 339955
OS Grid Reference: SE1260018100
OS Grid Coordinates: 412600, 418100
Latitude/Longitude: 53.6592, -1.8108
SE 1218 21/41
1900-1. Architect: Edgar Wood. Hammer-dressed stone, except for ashlar porch.
Pitched stone slate roof. 2 storeys. Irregular plan. Coped gables some with
art nouveau detailing. Flat-topped canted bays. Mullioned and transomed windows,
some mullions of square, and some of chamfered section. Tall plain stacks,
some placed diagonally. One ornamented lintel. One tapering buttress. Many
rainwater-heads and downpipes with moulded art nouveau ornament and "WHA" monograms.
The 2 most striking external features are as follows:- 1. Porch. Gabled,
with carved art nouveau finial. Tapering diagonally-placed flanking buttresses
with moulded cornices. 1st floor window with moulded art nouveau hoodmould.
Round-arched door with carved foliage corbels to arch, exaggerated keystone
with art nouveau foliage either side, very deep art nouveau hoodmould. Door
itself very simple with 2 narrow glazed panels (some stained glass), and large
brass art nouveau fingerplates. Complex groin vault inside porch, and similar
round-arched doors with similar brass finger-plates. 2. Shallow canted projecting
chimney breast with coped pitched gable, either side of which deeply overhanging
eaves project; and on 2 sides there are ranges of 2-light stone mullioned windows.
Interior: Wainscotted with simple oak panels, cornice about 5 ft up, and tapering
pilasters. Staircase has tall plain tapering newels with bands of art nouveau
carved briar ornament near tops. Several upstairs rooms have plaster barrel
vaults (including stairs), with bands or panel of art nouveau foliage ornament:
one barrel-vaulted downstairs corridor with foliage tendrils crossing to form
ribs. One upstairs room has canted bay, approached through arch, with 2 tapering
wooden mullions with single applied ornament, duplicating the external mullions.
Doors are framed by tapering pilasters of concave section and have tall narrow
panels (some with small glazed panels) and art nouveau hinges, latches and
Chief features, however, are the projecting ashlar chimney breasts, which taper
upwards are flanked by tapering pilasters or buttresses and have moulded cornices,
often with a wavy art nouveau pattern. The lintels and the heads of the buttresses
are carved with figures and art nouveau foliage: lintel of hall fireplace has
an undulating pattern. Exaggeratedly tall keystones with, in one room, an
exaggeratedly deeply moulded "cornice", in another a relief figure inscribed
"THE ANGEL OF THE RAINS". No keystone to hall, chimneypiece, but a relief
figure bearing legend "EACH MANS CHIMNEY IS HIS GOLDEN MILESTONE". One fireplace
is set back behind a broad round arch. Another behind a Venetian arch maken
on tapering wooden columns with bands of art nouveau flora and fauna carved
round top: very deeply moulded cornice.
Steps and balustrades with unmoulded balusters, plain rails and ball finials
on garden side.
The house was built for W H Armitage and was one of the outstanding private
houses of its decade. It was particularly admired abroad, and was given extensive
coverage in Hermann Muthesius' "Das Englische Haus" (1904).
Listing NGR: SE1260018100
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.