If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Hawkesbury

Description: Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin

Grade: I
Date Listed: 3 March 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 34317

OS Grid Reference: ST7681986925
OS Grid Coordinates: 376819, 186925
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5807, -2.3359

Location: Hawkesbury, South Gloucestershire GL9 1BN

Locality: Hawkesbury
County: South Gloucestershire
Country: England
Postcode: GL9 1BN

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Listing Text

HAWKESBURY C.P. HAWKESBURY
ST 78 NE
4/104 Parish Church of St Mary
the Virgin
3.3.61

G.V. I

Parish Church (Anglican). C12th but on the site of a Saxon church; Early
English, early C13th (Chancel); C14th; the majority of the church is in the
Perpendicular style of the late C14th and C15th, restored 1882 - 85 by
W Wood Bethell of Bristol. West tower; nave with clerestorey; south aisle and
chapel; north and south porches; chancel. Rubble, coursed and random, squared
to tower, with freestone dressings, ashlar north porch; Cotswold stone slate
roof to chancel. West tower: C15th of 6 stages with diagonal buttresses;
small Perpendicular embattled parapet with gargoyles, C19th spirelet at
south-east at top of south-east stair turret; single plain square headed windows
to bell chamber. Nave: roof raised and clerestorey surmounted by embattled
parapet added in C15th, tall 3-light square headed Perpendicular windows
with cusped heads and under drip moulds; lower windows to clerestorey with
cill band; buttresses with set-offs. Chancel: 2 lancet windows with roll
mould surrounds, north-east window is early C14th. Y-tracery with cusped
heads and cusped rere-arch on interior; restored Perpendicular 5-light east
window; single lancet and 3-light windows (as Nave) on south side.
South Aisle: Perpendicular windows as Nave. South Arch: plain 2 storeys,
late Perpendicular with C18th sundial. North Porch: C15th; 2 storeys, diagonal
buttresses with attached pinnacles to upper stages; plain parapet; 2-light
cross window with cusped heads and under drip mould which has carved head
stops. Interior: North doorway: Romanesque, 2 orders of roll moulding and outer
arch decorated with dogtooth moulding; mutilated stoup. Nave; 4 bay arcade
to south aisle with octagonal piers; the roof is a late C19th copy of the
Perpendicular roof. South aisle - 2 ashlar doorways with 4-centred heads
to rood stair and loft. Chapel - trefoil headed piscina. Chancel: Early
English chancel arch with stiff stalk capital to south, but extensively
rebuilt when the Nave roof was raised; C14th tomb recess or Easter sepulchre
with cinquefoil canopy on north wall; double piscina with 2 centre heads
which continue as cill bands on both sides of the Chancel. C15th roof.
Pulpit: C15th, restored, with trefoil head panels and enriched top carved
with vine leaf ornament, the vase stem incorporates fragments of Saxon
interlaced work. Font: C17th but possibly a remodelling of an earlier
font, octagonal bowl decorated with lozenges, fluted stem. Pews: C17th box
pews, cut down and remodelled by Wood Bethell. Glass: reassembled mediaeval
fragments in north window of nave, represents St Giles. Monuments: South aisle;
an excellent chest tomb to Edward Cosin, 1689, with Ionic columns and heraldry
with scrolls and cartouche; wall plaques to Cole 1773; Parnell 1791; Jobbins
mid-C18th; Esbury 1766 by T Paty of Bristol; Curtis 1784 by W Lancashire of
Bath. North wall of nave: James Cleare 1790, by W Paty of Bristol, oval
coloured marble, trailing willow and urn. Chancel: north wall Sir Robert
Jenkinson, 1766, sarcophagus with drapery and heraldry, coloured marble;
2nd Earl of Liverpool (died 1828), 1858; M Symonds 1719: south wall, 1st
Earl of Liverpool, 1808, by R Westmacott. Verey D. The Buildings of England:
Gloucestershire, the Cotswolds, 1970.


Listing NGR: ST7681886925

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.