If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Katherine, Sacombe

Description: Church of St Katherine

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 24 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 356210

OS Grid Reference: TL3360219360
OS Grid Coordinates: 533602, 219360
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8568, -0.0614

Location: Sacombe, Hertfordshire SG12 0JJ

Locality: Sacombe
Local Authority: East Hertfordshire District Council
County: Hertfordshire
Country: England
Postcode: SG12 0JJ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Sacombe, Hertfordshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SACOMBE SACOMBE GREEN
TL 31 NW
(Southwest side)
Sacombe
4/102 Church of
24.11.66 St. Katherine
- II*

Parish church. C14. Plaque in chancel records 'This church was restored
by Abel Smith Esq. of Woodhall Park, Patron of the Living, the works
y
being continued from the 24th May 1855 to the loth of Feb 1856 when it
was opened again for divine service. The roof, tower, vestry and west
wall. were rebuilt, the organ loft formed, and new oak seats made, and
the outside of the church entirely refaced with flint.' Knapped flint
facing with some flint rubble in plinth. Dressings of stone re-used from
demolished church at Thundridge. Tiled roofs. Nave with narrower shorter
chancel. Tall S tower over entrance. Vestry to N of chancel. Chancel: 3
light E window, 2 centred arched head, restored curvilinear tracery,
mask stopped hood mould, trefoil opening in stone coped gable parapet
with masks on kneelers, ridge cross. 2 stage buttresses to returns.
Chancel to S has 2 restored 2 light windows with 2 centred heads,
curvilinear tracery, linked hood moulds. Continuous plinth. Sprocket
eaves. Vestry has a separate roof. 3 lancets in a square surround to N
with small buttresses. Quatrefoils in gables with a 3 light pointed
arched window with intersecting tracery to E, steps to 2 centred arched
door to W. Kneelers to coped gable parapets. Nave E end has similar
parapet over 2 stage buttresses. Towards E end of nave to N and S are 2
light windows as in chancel. Nave W end has a tall 3 light window,
buttresses at ends with parapet as to E. Tall square 4 stage S tower is
unbuttressed with small stone quoins. To S: pointed arched opening with
a triple chamfer, hood mould, squared flint voussoirs, above a 3 light
window formerly to organ loft and a clock imposed on a slit opening.
String course to belfry with tall louvred lancets with trefoiled heads
to all sides. Embattled parapet. Tower to E has 2 lights in a square
surround on lower stage, 3rd stage trefoiled slit. To W a semi-octagonal
stair turret on 3 stages with entrance, slit openings, stone quoining.
Inner entrance to S is a double chamfered 2 centred arch. Interior: C14
2 centred chancel arch, double chamfered, the outer order dying into
wave moulded responds with C19 foliate stops. C19 roofs, scissor braced
in nave, braced collar beams in chancel. Over S entrance is former organ
loft with a 4 centred moulded arch and a corbelled balcony with a Gothic
panelled frontal. Chancel S wall has restored C14 piscina and double
sedilia with cusped ogee arches with crocketed finials, hexafoil bowl in
piscina. C19 Gothic fittings. Fixed to pulpit is C17 iron hour glass
holder. Chancel N wall: large marble epitaph to T Rolt, d.1758, by
M. Rysbrack. Cornice ramped up to centre over a cherub, flags, trophies
and arms above, scrolled jambs with festoons, 2 cherubs at base flanking
a cartouche with arms. Marble epitaph to Elizabeth Caswall, d.1815, by
Flaxman. Inscription with consoles at base of tapering black marble slab
with low relief allegorical female figures, one standing with upraised
arm, the other kneeling and weeping, pedimental head with ante fixae and
acroterion. Stone epitaph to J. Meriton, d.1669, with richly carved
surround, scrolled jambs with festoons, cherub at base, scrolled head
with skull. In one sedile are reset brass inscriptions to J and
E. Dodyngton, d.1537 and 1544. In vestry W wall a reset marble epitaph
to Sir T. Rolt, d.1710, 'Agent of Persia and President of India'. In N
wall an C18 cherub from base of another monument. Late C19 Resurrection
in E window. (East Herts Archaeological Society Transactions, vol,1,
pt.1, 1899,p.85: RCHM 1910: VCH 1912: Pevsner 1977).


Listing NGR: TL3360219360

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |