Parish Church of St Mary, Luton
Description: Parish Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 10 September 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 35798
OS Grid Reference: TL0953221204
OS Grid Coordinates: 509532, 221204
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8787, -0.4102
Location: St Mary's Road, Luton LU1 3JE
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
5123 Parish Church of
TL 0921 2/15 10.9.54
Large predominantly C14 and C15 parish church with some earlier survivals,
much restored by Street 1865-85. Flint and stone, some clunch, chequerwork.
Plan consists of west tower, 5 bay nave with north and south aisles and north
and south porches attached, crossing, transepts and chancel flanked by Wenlock
Chapel to north and Hoo chapel to south. Vestry between chancel and Wenlock
Chapel. Most elements of church have embattled parapets.
Three stage tower with octagonal angle turrets at top; moulded cornice with
gargoyles at corners; cinquefoil lights in belfry windows under 2-centred
arch; staged pairs of buttresses at corners with canopied statue niches;
restored C14 west doorway and window; tall eastern arch to nave. Western
bay of nave has C14 octagonal baptistery with font of similar date. Aisle
windows mostly C15 3 light under segmental arches; clerestory windows 5 each
side, of 2 cinquefoiled lights under square heads. Both porches 2 storey,
the southern buttressed and with a semi-circular stair turret in the corner
with the aisle. C15 Wenlock Chapel contains several monuments, brasses and
recessed tombs, to members of Wenlock and Rotheram family. Vestry has C14
ribbed stone vault. Late C15 Barnard chantry lies on the south side of the
Many other memorials and details of note.
Listing NGR: TL0953221204
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.