If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 2 November 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 360324
OS Grid Reference: SP7580974557
OS Grid Coordinates: 475809, 274557
Latitude/Longitude: 52.3638, -0.8881
Explore more of the area around Lamport, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.
LAMPORT HIGH STREET
SP77SE (North side)
10/71 Church of All Saints
Church. Late C12, C13 and C17 to C19. Architects William Smith and J. Bodley.
Limestone and lias ashlar and squared coursed lias with lead roof. Aisled nave,
chancel and south chapel and west tower. Chancel rebuilt by William Smith of
Warwick commencing 1737 along with the outer walls of the nave and the aisles.
South elevation of one-window range, has 2 -light C18 window with thick
Y-tracery. 3-light Venetian east window with Doric pilasters. Shallow pitched
roof with ashlar parapet. South vestry by Bodley 1879 has 2-light east windows
with reticulated tracery. Lean-to roof with decorated corbels. North chapel
added to the medieval church in 1672 by Henry Jones of Walgrave for Sir
Justinion Isham probably to designs by J. Webb. East window of 2-lights with
transom and segmental pediment on corbels over. Blocked north door with
rusticated head. Rusticated quoins. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapet. South
aisle of 2-window range of 3-light C18 windows with thick Y-tracery. Similar
2-light west window. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. South porch to left C18
by Smith; plain arch opening has rusticated surround with pediment over. Small
roundels in flanking side walls. C19 outer doors with close lattice pattern;
inner are 6-panelled double doors. North aisle similar to south of 3-window
range. C18 windows. Shallow pitched roof with ashlar cornice and finial. West
tower late C12 of 2 stages with C13 clasping buttresses to lower stage. Blocked
west door. 2-light C13 bell chamber openings with quatrefoil above to each face
of second stage. Castellated parapet. Shallow pyramid roof with weather vane.
Interior; Chancel, 3-bay arcade to north chapel of semi-circular arches on
square piers with moulded cornices. Plasterwork by John Woolston of Northampton.
Cartouches between arches, fine Rococo ceiling with central pendant and
dentilled cornice. Reredos below east window of 3 panels divided by plasterwork
swags and cherubs. Reflecting pilasters between the windows. Double chamfered
chancel and tower arches. Nave has 3-bay arcade of double chamfered C13 pointed
arches with octagonal piers. Flat ceiling with plasterwork by John Woolston is
of 3 roundels, centre with eye of God, flanked by doves. Royal arms of George II
in plaster relief above chancel arch. Pulpit has C18 fielded panelling.
Communion rail with turned balusters, probably mid C18. Font with tall wooden
cover by Bodley c.1869. Monuments: Left of altar Mrs. Jane Isham died 1638:
inscribed tablet with 3 putti and 3 wreaths at the top by Thomas Stanton.
Inscribed tablet above to John Isham (infant) died 1638. North wall of north
chapel left Sir Justian Isham 1700 by William Stanton. Tablet with twisted
columns and segmental pediment above. North wall right: Elizabeth Isham died
1713 by Edward Stanton with fluted pilasters with putti flanking coat of arms
above. West wall, Sir Justinion Isham died 1730 by Francis Smith: Tablet in
varigated marbles with fluted pilasters and broken pediment over. North wall
centre, Sir Justinian died 1737, by Schemakers: bust on large plinth with
volutes to left and right. Large arcaded surround with heraldic devices. firs,
Raynsford died 1763 by W. Cox on east wall originally at Faxton church. East
wall of north aisle, John Isham died 1811 by Henry Westmancott. Various C19 and
C20 tablets to Isham family including Sir Gyles died 1976.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.285).
Listing NGR: SP7580974557
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.