Dovecote of Former Manor House, Willington
Description: Dovecote of Former Manor House
Date Listed: 13 July 1964
English Heritage Building ID: 36754
OS Grid Reference: TL1064949966
OS Grid Coordinates: 510649, 249966
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1369, -0.3847
Location: Church End, Willington, Bedford Borough MK44 3PX
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument, Willington Dovecot, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
TL 14NW WILLINGTON CHURCH END
4/117 Dovecote of former Manor
Dovecote, originally belonging to Manor House. Probably between 1535 and
1541. Built by Sir John Gostwick, at one time Master of the Horse to Cardinal
Wolsey and later in service of Henry VIII as Treasurer and Receiver-General of
the First Fruits and Tenths at the Dissolution. Coursed limestone rubble with
ashlar dressings, possibly reused from Newnham Priory (dissolved 1535). Clay
tile roof. Rectangular building divided into 2 square chambers by central
cross-wall. This and end gables are crow-stepped, with moulded copings and
kneelers. Roof is divided into 2 pitches by band of wooden louvres. S
elevation : one small hipped dormer with wood mullion to LH chamber. One
small doorway to each chamber, both with 4-centred arches and moulded
dripstones, that to LH with moulded stops. Relieving arch to RH door set
higher than that to LH. E elevation has square-headed lancet. Interior :
each chamber contains about 700 nesting boxes, built of stone with a brick
lintel to each opening. The E chamber has a 2-stage potence. (Willington
Dovecote and Stable, Tudor Farm Buildings, National Trust leaflet with text by
Listing NGR: TL1064949966
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.