14-16, Cowcross Street, Islington
Description: 14-16, Cowcross Street
Date Listed: 30 September 1994
English Heritage Building ID: 368838
OS Grid Reference: TQ3171481856
OS Grid Coordinates: 531714, 181856
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5203, -0.1030
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
TQ3181NE COWCROSS STREET
635-1/77/345 (North side)
Workshops. c.1870. Originally in multi-occupation, by
druggists sundriesmen, infants' milliners and artificial
flower manufacturers, so probably speculatively built. Yellow
brick set in Flemish bond, stone, dressings of white brick and
stone; roof obscured by parapet; internal construction of
cast-iron columns, flitch plates and timber beams. Five
storeys over basement, the fourth floor obscured by parapet;
seven-window range. Ground floor faced with stone and divided
into one broad bay flanked by two narrower ones: pilasters
with foliage capitals supporting moulded segmental arches, the
moulding turned through ninety degrees onto the impost;
roundels of geometrical ornament in the spandrels; bracketed
cornice; the right-hand bay has double doors flanked by
pilasters, brackets of particularly original design, and
sidelights; cornice over and overlight; the central and
left-hand bays have cast-iron area grilles and round-arched
glazing bars, the middle bay with double doors to the centre.
Upper windows grouped 2-3-2, those to the first and second
floors having segmental arches of gauged white brick with
stone keystones and stone springing bands, the inner arches of
the pairs and triplets carried on slim metal columns; the
third floor windows round-arched with chamfered heads of
gauged white brick; sills to second and third floors set on a
band of angled brickwork. Fine stone modillion cornice set on
a band of angled brickwork; high parapet. End stack.
The interior preserves the main and simple lines of the
original building intact apart from enclosed spaces round the
staircase and single-storey additions to the rear: two ranks
of cast-iron columns running parallel with the street front
and carrying timber beams on all but the top floor; staircase
with wreathed and ramped handrail, open string and stick
(Letter from the occupants, Alan Baxter & Associates).
Listing NGR: TQ3171481856
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.