If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


The Angel, Islington

Description: The Angel

Grade: II
Date Listed: 31 January 1991
English Heritage Building ID: 369037

OS Grid Reference: TQ3143183161
OS Grid Coordinates: 531431, 183161
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5321, -0.1066

Location: 25 A1, Islington, Greater London N1 9HJ

Locality: Islington
Local Authority: Islington Borough Council
County: Greater London
Country: England
Postcode: N1 9HJ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Listing Text

ISLINGTON

TQ3164SW ISLINGTON HIGH STREET
635-1/64/523 (North West side)
31/01/91 No.1

GV II

Formerly known as: The Angel Public House ISLINGTON HIGH
STREET.
Former public house and hotel, now bank and offices. Occupies
prominent and historical site at important junction on brow of
a hill. Dated 1903; c.1981 alterations to ground-floor. By
Eedle and Myers (Frederick James Eedle and Sydney Herbert
Myers), architects, and J C Edwards of Ruabon, manufacturers
of terracotta; for Truman, Hanbury, Buxton and Co., brewers.
Polished Norwegian granite and stone ground-floor
pub/shopfront, variegated orange terracotta to upper floors;
Welsh-slate mansard roof with dormers, domed terracotta roof
to corner. Flemish/Edwardian Baroque style with much animated
detailing. Pentonville Road facade with main entrance to
centre ground-floor, original staircase to upper floors
removed; Islington High Street facade with subsidiary
lobby-entrance to far right bay, C20 staircase to upper
floors. Five storeys, basement and attic; Pentonville Road
elevation 3 bays wide, 2:2:2 and Islington High Street
elevation 2 bays wide, 2:3. At 4th floor level the angle takes
a circular form of 2-storey drum and dome topped by a waisted
lantern (finial removed). Sashes decrease in length as they go
higher; upper floors (except bow and oriel windows) with
architraved casement sashes with rectangular overlights. 1st
floor sashes alternate between banded rustication and walls
lined as ashlar, dentiled cornice above 1st floor level; 2nd
and 3rd floor sashes between paired corinthian pilasters
surmounted by raised relief cushions with masques and putti;
and balustraded panels beneath 2nd floor sashes with keystones
and cornices; winged angel heads over 3rd floor sashes with
small brackets to sills and heavy modillioned and egg and dart
cornice above 3rd floor level; 4th floor bays articulated by
empty niches, keystoned sashes to right bay of Islington High
Street elevation. Drum of dome with round cornered sashes,
wide frieze carved in relief; ribbed dome with
console-bracketed lantern. Pentonville Road attic has richly
carved gabled dormer to left, a dormer to right and 2 windows
in the drum of the corner dome; Islington High Street
elevation attic with 2 dormers to right and 2 sashes in drum
of dome at corner. Pentonville Road first-floor centre bay has
a bow window topped with a balustrade with panel dated 1903;
2nd floor with segmental-arched 4-light full-length casement
windows leading to bowed balcony created by projection below.
Ground-floor bays articulated by original granite pilasters
supporting console-bracketed cornice; predominantly C20
plate-glass windows and doors. Pentonville Road round-arched
recessed entrance to centre bay surmounted by open
semi-circular pediment with winged angel's head, 3-light bow
window to left flanked by single sashes; to right of doorway
shopwindows have been removed and a C20 glass wall set back
behind corner of building. Islington High Street C20 recessed
subsidiary entrance to right bay. INTERIOR: : little interior
fabric survives. History: This site has been occupied by an
inn or public house since at least the C17, and possibly
earlier, and the name of the former 'Angel' Inn gives its name
to the area. Between 1921 and 1960 the building served as a
Lyons Corner House. It occupies an important corner site and
is a distinctive local landmark.
(Historians File English Heritage, London Division: 1990-;
Girourd, Mark: Victorian Pubs: London: 1984-: 4, 95, 139;
Richardson, John: Islington Past A Visual History of
Islington: Islington: 1988-: 35-36; Richardson, John:
Islington Past A Visual History of Islington: Islington:
1988-: 35-36).


Listing NGR: TQ3135483157

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |