Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 10 June 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 372483
OS Grid Reference: SO5115640014
OS Grid Coordinates: 351156, 240014
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0563, -2.7138
SO5140SW ST PETER'S SQUARE
683-1/8/296 (North side)
10/06/52 Church of St Peter
Parish church. Late C13/early C14, restored c1885 by
Nicholson. Ashlar sandstone, and rubble; slate roof.
PLAN: nave, chancel, south aisle, and tower with spire.
EXTERIOR: south front: 3 stained-glass windows under moulded
pointed arches; porch with wrought-iron gates; stepped
buttresses; corner buttresses with finials to tower; ribbed
spire with weather-vane. East front: Perpendicular window
under semicircular arch, in coursed dressed stone.
INTERIOR: C15 stalls and misericordes; contains work by
Grinling Gibbons (the Royal Arms of William III and the panels
to the pedal organ in the chancel).
HISTORICAL NOTE: the C14 spire of this church contains C14
bell which is thought to have been the "Common Bell" used to
give warning of danger to the citizens of Hereford.
(Duncumb J: History of the County of Hereford: 1804-: 597;
Listing NGR: SO5115640014
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.