Description: Church of Saint Peter
Date Listed: 31 October 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 37785
OS Grid Reference: TL1919537539
OS Grid Coordinates: 519195, 237539
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0235, -0.2642
TL 13NE ARLESEY
31.10.66 Church of Saint Peter
Parish church. Early C13, C14, C15 and C19. Coursed limestone rubble,
coursed ironstone rubble and cobblestones, with ashlar dressings. Clay tile
roofs. Chancel, nave, S and N aisles, S porch, W tower. Chancel: C13. N and
S walls each have 2 C13 lancets. C14 pointed E window of 3-lights with net
tracery. C14 low-side window to NW. C19 vestry attached to SW. C14 chancel
arch. Nave: C12 origins, but reworked C13 and C14, with clerestory added C15.
4-bay N arcade, arches with different spans. 2 E ones C13, 2 W ones C14. C13
4-bay S arcade with additional C14 half-bay to W. Clerestory has 5 windows
each side, all of 2 lights under flat heads. S aisle: C13, extended to W C14.
2 3-light 4-centred C15 windows to E part. C19 W window. Nave and S aisle
have embattled parapets. N aisle: E half C13 W part C14 extension. C15
windows similar to S aisle, 3 to N wall, one to E. C14 pointed-arched 2-light one to E. C14 pointed-arched 2-light
W window. C15 pointed arched N door. S porch: C19, gabled, enclosing C14
doorway. W tower: rebuilt 1877, although retaining C15 E arch. 3 stages,
with angle buttresses, plain parapet, 2-light pointed windows to bell-stage,
and 3-light pointed W window to lower stage. Interior: nave and aisles retain
most of C15 roofs, with carved corbels showing angels with shields. C14
octagonal font, rather worn, has carved panels showing scenes of the Fall of
Man and the Atonement. S aisle has early C17 squire's pew with panelled dado
and slender lonic columns supporting round-headed arches, surmounted by boldly
carved openwork frieze of dolphins. N aisle W bay has C14 tomb recess.
Adjacent is marble wall monument to Anne Edwards (d.1733) and her son
(d.1760), showing a grey obelisk with 2 white oval portrait medallions,
flanked by urns.
Listing NGR: TL1919537539
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.