Police Station and Attached Walls to North East and South West, Former Kings Weston Stables, Bristol
Description: Police Station and Attached Walls to North East and South West, Former Kings Weston Stables
Date Listed: 8 January 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 380008
OS Grid Reference: ST5431577607
OS Grid Coordinates: 354315, 177607
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4956, -2.6595
Location: Napier Miles Road, Bristol, City of Bristol BS11 0UT
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
ST5477 NAPIER MILES ROAD, Shirehampton
901-1/24/1752 (North West side)
08/01/59 Police Station and attached walls to
NE and SW, former Kings Weston
(Formerly Listed as:
NAPIER MILES ROAD
Kings Weston Police Station)
Stables, now police station. 1763. By Robert Mylne. Limestone
ashlar and slate roof. 3 sides to a quadrangle, single-depth
plan. 2 storeys; 14-window range. A symmetrical arrangement
with a tall central semicircular archway in a pedimented
gatehouse with a clock; either side are arcades of 3
semicircular arches linked by impost blocks with 6/6-pane
ground-floor sashes and lunettes in the arches, and 4-arch
arcades extending forward with vehicle doorways at the end;
cornice and parapet. Pedimented end gables have blind
semicircular arches and flat-headed niches around them and a
blind oculus in the pediment.
INTERIOR: rebuilt within the original walls for police
accommodation in 1959.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached rubble walls extend approx 50m
NE and SW of front wings, with central gateways with capped
piers, and terminating in piers formerly with ball finials.
Formerly the stables to Kings Weston House (qv). The attached
walls mirror those attached to the lodges of the former
kitchen garden (qv) opposite.
Listing NGR: ST5430777599
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.