Church of St Nicholas, Hulcote and Salford
Description: Church of St Nicholas
Date Listed: 23 January 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 38315
OS Grid Reference: SP9443438833
OS Grid Coordinates: 494434, 238833
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0399, -0.6246
Location: Salford, Central Bedfordshire MK17 8BN
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
HULCOTE AND SALFORD HULCOTE
SP 93 NW
5/18 Church of St Nicholas
Parish Church. Circa 1590, built by Richard Chernock, then in possession of
Hulcote Manor. Some late C19 restoration. Coursed rubble, mixture of
limestone, ironstone and cobbles. Ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs.
Chancel, nave, S porch, tower. All windows are square-headed and have
diamond leading. Chancel: 3-light mullion and transom E window, each lignt
with slightly rounded pointed-arched head. E wall external stonework
repaired with brick, with C19 wall tablet inserted. N and S walls each have
2-light mullion and transom window. N elevation has later red brick
buttresses. S elevation has small doorway with rounded archway under square
head. Door is decorated with scrolled ironwork. Nave: N and S elevations eacn
have one 3-light and one 2-light mullion and transom window. N elevation has
blocked 4-centred arched doorway cut by western window. S porch: apparently
rebuilt, partially blocks western nave window. Gabled 4-centred arched
doorway. Door has decorative studding in chevron and diamond patterning, and
with initials R.C. Single lights to side elevations. W tower: 3 stages, with
diagonal buttresses to W angles. N elevation has semi-circular stair turret
projecting from wall. Ground stage has 2-light mullion and transom window to
W. Bell-stage has 2-light mullioned window to each side. E one blocked by
nave roof, others with wood louvres. Plain parapet with crocketed pinnacles
to angles. Interior: Pointed tower arch. Segmental-arched plaster ceiling.
Nave has some reset C16 panelling with a variety of motifs, including
linenfold, a moor's head and the initials W.A. Chanel choir stalls constructed
from re-used Jacobean panelling. C17 communion rails with twisted balusters.
Chancel E wall has brass to Richard Chernock, 1616. Chancel N wall has
polychrome 3-tier wall monument to same Richard Chernock, with kneeling
figures of Chernock, his 2 wives and numerous children. Chancel has several
other C18 and C19 wall monuments. Nave floor has brass to Mary Nicholls,
Listing NGR: SP9443438833
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.