Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 8 October 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 385797
OS Grid Reference: SO2913556762
OS Grid Coordinates: 329135, 256762
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2045, -3.0384
There is also a scheduled monument, Mound 150yds (140m) N of church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
SO2956 CHURCH ROAD
643-1/1/37 (North West side)
08/10/53 Church of St Mary
Parish church. c1300, much altered. Sandstone rubble; plain
tile roof with shingles to spire. Nave, north and south aisles
(c1300), chancel (rebuilt early C14), Decorated south chapel
(c1320), south porch (early C14), tower, with double-broach
spire (rebuilt 1794); outer north aisle (c1874). Nave (rebuilt
early C14 with added aisle): arcades of 5 bays with octagonal
piers and double-chamfered arches. 1 original lancet survives
in south wall; C13 window reset in north wall of outer aisle.
Chancel has group of 3 stepped lancets to east and 6 smaller
lancets to north. INTERIOR: round arch with roll-moulding from
tower to south aisle; Norman circular font with rope-moulding
and incised zig-zag. Monuments: Thomas Vaughan, d.1469 and
wife Elena: alabaster effigies on tomb-chest with 10 by 4
alabaster angels (front and foot end) upright and holding
shields; William Matthews, d.1688: tablet with columns and, at
top, 2 standing putti; C18 and C19 commemorative tablets.
(RCHME: Herefordshire: 89).
Listing NGR: SO2913456764
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.