Description: Boxing Club at Christopher Pickering Homes
Date Listed: 21 January 1994
English Heritage Building ID: 387586
OS Grid Reference: TA0560727132
OS Grid Coordinates: 505607, 427132
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7299, -0.4007
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA02NE HESSLE ROAD
680-1/8/164 (North side)
Boxing Club at Christopher Pickering
Former chapel, then maritime museum, now amateur boxing club.
1912, with late C20 alterations. Brick with ashlar dressings
and plain tile roof with external gable stack. Plinth, quoins,
sill band, string courses, coped gables, buttresses to sides.
Single storey; 2x6 windows. Facing gable has central portico
with steps, coped gable and segmental pointed opening flanked
by Corinthian granite columns. Close boarded double doors. On
either side, a large pointed-arched glazing bar window. Sides
have, towards the front, 2 tall through-eaves dormers with
pointed-arched glazing bar windows, and towards the rear, 4
blank bays. Above, towards the rear, a large fully glazed
raking dormer. Rear has a full-width hipped porch with a
central recess with wooden posts. Central double doors flanked
to right by a boarded opening and to left by an altered
opening with 2 windows. Beyond, on either side, a small
2-light glazing bar casement. INTERIOR has wooden common
rafter roof with collars. Built originally as a chapel to the
Christopher Pickering Homes. Included for group value.
(Buildings of England: N Pevsner: Yorkshire; York and the East
Riding: London: 1972-: 288).
Listing NGR: TA0560727132
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.