Gatehouse and Flanking Blocks at Douai School, Beenham
Description: Gatehouse and Flanking Blocks at Douai School
Date Listed: 10 November 1983
English Heritage Building ID: 39689
OS Grid Reference: SU5773668008
OS Grid Coordinates: 457736, 168008
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4082, -1.1713
Location: Abbey Gardens, Beenham, West Berkshire RG7 5TH
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
WOOLHAMPTON UPPER WOOLHAMPTON
SU 56 NE
3/14 Gatehouse And Flanking
Blocks At Douai School
Gatehouse and flanking school buildings. 1893-5 by F A Walters in a neo-Gothic
style. Red brick with stone dressings, plinth, corbel table and coped battle-
mented parapet; roof not visible. Free Perpendicular style. Gatehouse tower:
3 storeys. First and second floor windows with 2 cusped lights, those on
second floor arched with hoodmoulds, flanking 2 canopied niches with figures.
Central moulded 4-centered archway with hoodmould, and carved coats of arms to
each side above. 2 short brick walls projecting to each side with stone coping,
square piers, and finials with carved coats of arms topped by lamps. Left-hand
block: red brick with stone dressings and brick cill course; tiled roof with
central ridge stack and parapetted gabled semi-dormer to left with casement.
2 1/2 storeys. Three 2-light windows on each floor; first floor 2-light 4-centered
arched window to left with transom and Y-tracery. Right-hand block: red brick
with cill courses; tiled roof, and 2 gables with planted timbers and casements.
2 storeys and attic. 2 canted bays rising to first floor with coped parapets,
and mullioned and transomed windows. These buildings were built originally
for St. Mary's College. BOE; Berkshire, p. 312; Berkshire Architectural
Guide, Betjeman and Piper, Murray, 1949, p. 156.
Listing NGR: SU5773668008
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.