Remains of St Constantine's Well, St Merryn
Description: Remains of St Constantine's Well
Date Listed: 6 June 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 397252
OS Grid Reference: SW8745474017
OS Grid Coordinates: 187454, 74017
Latitude/Longitude: 50.5272, -5.0002
Location: St Merryn, Cornwall PL28 8PJ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SW 87 SE
3/236 Remains of St Constantine's well
Well house to holy well, dedicated to St Constantine. Medieval, possibly of the C14.
Stone rubble. Well house of rectangular plan with small well sump to rear.
Low well house with the remains of a pointed stone vaulted roof. Within the building
there is a pointed arched opening towards the rear, over the well sump with a niche
There are several pieces of medieval tracery lying nearby. The wellhouse was
rediscovered in 1917, covered over by seven feet of sand. A shelter has been erected
over the well house in the mid C20.
Listing NGR: SW8745474017
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.