Description: Church of St Merryn
Date Listed: 6 June 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 397263
OS Grid Reference: SW8864174141
OS Grid Coordinates: 188641, 74141
Latitude/Longitude: 50.5288, -4.9835
There is also a scheduled monument, Cross Base 30m South of St Merryn's Church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
SW87SE ST MERRYN ST MERRYN
1525/3/267 Church of St Merryn
(Formerly listed as:
Church of St Marina)
Parish church dedicated to St Merryn. Probably Norman origins, extended in C15 and restored 1887-1907 and again in 1962. Stone rubble and slate roofs. PLAN: Norman origins with remains of Norman arch to west tower. North transept circa C13 and 7-bay south aisle added in C15. EXTERIOR: quoins of west tower rebuilt in 1962. 2 stages with set back corner buttresses, (relocated on top of the north buttresses there are 2 circa C15 carved Catacleuse angel corbels holding shields), battlemented parapet with crocketed finials. C15 moulded arch to west door, 3-light Perpendicular west window and 2-light belfry openings. Catacleuse stone Perpendicular tracery with 3-light windows in south aisle, the east windows with C19 Perpendicular tracery and circa C14 lancet window in north transept. INTERIOR: Cl5 unceiled waggon roofs with moulded ribs and carved wall plates and bosses. Ceiled simple chancel roof. Chamfered 4-centred tower arch. Cl5 7-bay arcade to south aisle with type A (Pevsner) piers and 4-centred moulded arches of Catacleuse stone. C19 furnishings with remains of C16 bench end. Fine quality circa C15 Catacleuse stone font similar to that in Church of St Petroc, Padstow (qv); round bowl with 12 carved figures of apostles and carved angels on corners; round central shaft with 4 octagonal corner shafts. Plaster Royal coat of arms, by John Abbot in 1662 for Thomas Peter of Harlyn House (qv); restored 1981.
MONUMENTS: include those of John Mitchell and family 1617; William Trevathvan of Porthcothen, 1695 and Henry Peter 1821. Stocks dated 1788 in porch.
(SOURCES: Pevsner N and Radcliffe E: The Buildings of England: Cornwall: 2nd edition: 1970-; Truro District Sites and Monuments Register-:)
Listing NGR: SW8864174141
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.