Description: 20, Blackheath Park
Date Listed: 29 March 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 397898
OS Grid Reference: TQ3998875844
OS Grid Coordinates: 539988, 175844
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4643, 0.0138
TQ 3975 BLACKHEATH PARK
Detached house. 1957-8 by Peter Moro for himself. End cavity walls and ground floor of north front faced with dark Sussex brick, other internal walls of 'Thermalite' blocks, the first floor clad in white timber boarding. Internal walls of Fletton brick. Felt roof of two low pitches, the steeper to north raised over full-length central clerestory. Rectangular plan of two storeys, the larger first floor cantilevered over slightly sunken ground floor to south. Split level arrangement reflecting north/south slope of the site. All main living and bedroom accommodation on first floor, with ancillary rooms, workshop and garage below. Rooms on the south front, including open-plan living room and study with internal brick stack are four steps lower than those on the north. All facades have irregular fenestration of plate glass windows. North (entrance) facade has central door with four-light window and garage to right; on first floor central pair of five-light windows and deeper windows at extreme ends, that to right being larger. Side elevations express the split-level and central longitudinal division of the house: west elevation has two-light first floor window to right, east elevation has ground floor window to right and two-light window placed centrally in cantilevered projection to left. South facade has steps rising to central first floor glazed door, with large full-height sliding window to left, divided horizontally at dado height with central strut below. Small window to right of door, smaller one further right. Ground floor has central door with four-light window to left and larger window at extreme right. INTERIOR: The interior is rich in built-in features, many built by Moro himself over many years. The walls are of unplastered brick and timber boarding, with black tiled floor and timber-boarded ceilings. Flush doors with distinctive, Tecton-style handles, the mixture of black and white painted frames found externally repeated exactly within. Open-tred staircase with timber balustrade. Niche for keys and other useful items, and small shelf, set beside door. Otherwise, the principal features are on the first floor. Sliding timber door at top of stairs gives on to living room and study, separated by brick piers either side of central fireplace. Study has fitted shelving and bookcases, with long workbench; lounge area with fitted sofa set against counter and half screen to central corridor, which links the north-facing dining area and service rooms. The kitchen, bathroom and bedrooms also with fitted cupboards. The dining area is separated from the kitchen by a particularly good, thick timber counter, with drawers and cupboards, while there is a range of cupboards separating the kitchen from the passage. Pair of cupboards with sliding doors in bathroom; and fitted wardrobes and drawers in principal bedroom, which also has fitted dressing table with pivotting mirror. Peter Moro worked with Lubetkin and Tecton, and was architect for the interiors of the Royal Festival Hall (Lambeth, grade I) before setting up in private practice. His limited output has a clarity and stylishness that sets it apart from his contemporaries: it carries forward the modernist principles established by Lubetkin in England during the 1930s, while always being of its time. This is very well seen in his own home, where he lived until his death in 1999, which has none of the period contemporary' style features normally associated with 1950s' houses, but is truly a timeless piece of modern design. In particular, because this was his own home, this is a very personal design, in his limited palette and with fittings designed and sometimes even made by himself. Architectural Design, January 1957, p 3; September 1958, pp 347-50. Architects Journal, 18 December 1958, pp 904-5. Ideal Homes, April 1959, pp.60-6.
Listing NGR: TQ3999275846
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.