If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Dubricius, Ballingham

Description: Church of St Dubricius

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 26 March 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 398863

OS Grid Reference: SO5760031650
OS Grid Coordinates: 357600, 231650
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9817, -2.6187

Location: Ballingham, County of Herefordshire HR2 6NJ

Locality: Ballingham
County: Herefordshire
Country: England
Postcode: HR2 6NJ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Listing Text

SOUTH HEREFS DC 5147
HEREFORD & WORCESTER
SO 53 SE BALLINGHAM CP
2/1 Church of St Dubricius

GV II*

Parish church. C13 to C15, restored 1884-5 by W E Martin. Sandstone rubble,
sandstone ashlar and dressings with Welsh slate roofs, tiled ridge and sand-
stone spire. West tower, three-bay nave, two-bay chancel and south porch.
Tower is C14, has battered plinth and fillet-moulded string above, three stages
divided by strings, plain parapet, recessed octagonal spire with moulded finial
beneath large weathercock; central loops to lowest stages, one trefoiled and
chamfered opening to each side of bell-chamber, pig-like and mouse-like grotesque
waterspouts from centre of string beneath parapet on west and south side
respectively, gabled ogee-headed opening onto parapet from south base of spire;
memorial on north wall to six men of parish killed in 1914-18 War inscribed
peculiarly, "THEY LOVED NOT THEIR LIVES UNTO DEATH". Nave has small lancet
to right-hand side of north wall and two pairs of C19 trefoiled lancets, one to
centre and one to left; in the south wall is another pair of C19 trefoiled
lancets to the right, to the centre, next to the porch, a restored C14 square-
headed window of three lights each with an ogeed and trefoiled head and small
spandrel lights. Chancel has one cinquefoiled and trefoiled 2-light C19 window,
under a square head with quatrefoil tracery to north and one to south wall,
restored east window with 2-centred head and three ogeed and trefoiled lights;
to the west end of the south wall is a blocked chamfered C14 priest's doorway
with a 2-centred head. South porch is early C15 with parapet, moulded plinth
and strings, two diagonal buttresses to front with off-sets and trefoiled panels;
deeply moulded 2-centred arch in a square head with spandrels in which are
shields set in quatrefoils and mouchettes, above are the remains of black-letter
inscription noted by RCHM; central niche with 2-centred head interrupting coping
of parapet; each side wall has a pair of trefoiled openings under square head
and label above, slightly to the south of which is a plain tapered waterspout
projecting from string beneath parapet; inside are stone side benches and
square diagonal rib vault springing from part-circular moulded corbels to a
restored rosette at the apex; south doorway is C15 with moulded jambs and a
2-centred head, to its east is a rustic cast iron shoe-scraper, probably mid-
C19. Interior has wagon roofs to nave and chancel, the former, perhaps C14
with scissor braces above collars; the latter C19. Chancel is divided from
nave by C19 screen above which is plank and muntin panelling probably C16 or
C17 with two rows of muntins with straight-cut chamfer stops; C19 recess in
north wall has two trefoiled openings separated by a column. C19 octofoil
drain in cill of south window, late C19 marble reredos, floor slab set in
south wall for Sir John Scudamore Bart and Kt of the Honble Order of the Bath,
died 1684 has achievement set in laurel wreath and palmettes to corners; brass
plaque with intaglio enamelled lettering in red and black for Helen Jane
Essyllt Jenkins, wife of Rector of Parish, died Constantinople 1903, by Newby
of Cardiff; pair of altar baluster candlesticks in brass inscribed: "Presented
to Ballingham Church by Mrs Fisher, December 1918". Nave has low chamfered 3-
centred doorway into tower, font perhaps C13 with chamfered circular base,
cylindrical stem and octagonal bowl curved on undersides; early C17 pulpit
is part octagonal, paired arch-motifs with guilloche ornament to each of the
three sides, upper panels of sides have arabesques, lower panels are plain,
north panel has crowned pilaster figure, probably C19, attached to end; on the
top of pulpit is late C19 brass book rest with quatrefoil decoration bearing
a pair of hinged sconces; above doorway to tower and black and white marble
pedimented wall monument of William Scudamore, died 1649, in an austere
design with achievement at the top, conches at the bottom and Ionic side
columns, oddly presenting volute faces of their capitals to subsidiary
north and south sides; also on west wall memorial to benefaction of £200
by James Lord Viscount Scudamore made in 1716 by the impropriation of tithes;
to east of south door a sandstone plaque for John Nourse, died 1735 has blond
painted head in the centre of swagged top; on north wall, memorial to W R Jenkins,
died 1909 in bronze inscribed, "RECTOR OF THIS PARISH 1883-1902/ IN GRATEFUL
RECOGNITION OF/ HIS GENEROUS GIFT OF £200 TOWARDS/ THE RESTORATION OF THIS
CHURCH IN 1885"; memorial to Arthur Henry Tickle, died 1938; also on north wall;
red marble frame with gilt tesserae to margin of inscription which concludes
"TO LIVE IN THE HEARTS OF THOSE WE LOVE IS NOT TO DIE"; late C19 harmonium by
W Bell & Co of Guelph, Canada, in mahogany with elaborate music stand and
pedal with cast iron plaque with raised lettering: "PAT'D FEB 24, 1887/ MOUSE
PROOF PEDAL". (BoE p 71; RCHM Vol I, p 21-2).


Listing NGR: SO5760031650

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |