If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 3 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 418829
OS Grid Reference: TF5092561847
OS Grid Coordinates: 550925, 361847
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1324, 0.2545
Explore more of the area around Croft, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
CROFT PINCHBECK LANE
TF 56 SW
5/31 Church of All
Parish church. C14, C15. Greenstone rubble, limestone ashlar,
some red brick patching. Lead roofs with parapets and embattled
clerestory. West tower, nave with north and south arcades and
south porch; chancel. Late C14 west tower with moulded plinth
and string courses, and 4 stage angle buttresses, the south-west
buttress with plaque inscribed with the names of the vicar and 2
church wardens, and the date 1656. Slit stair lights in south
side to the right of the south-west buttress. Pointed west
doorway with continuous richly moulded surround, hood mould and
double plank doors. Pointed window above with 2 ogee headed
lights flanking a single semi-circular headed light; plain panel
tracery and hood mould. Small pointed window above with 2 semi-
circular headed, cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould.
Bell openings on all 4 sides, each with a pointed head. 3
pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery and hood moulds with head
label stops. Moulded eaves with projecting corner gargoyles and
battlements with ornate pinnacles. C14 north aisle remodelled in
mid C15. Moulded plinth and regularly placed 2 stage buttresses.
West end with a pointed window with 3 plain ogee headed lights,
panel tracery, hood mould and single label stop head to left.
North side with flattened triangular headed window to right with
3 ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Pointed
doorway to left with continuous moulded surround, C16 plank door,
hood mould and label stop head to left. 3 windows to the left,
similar to that to the right of the doorway. East end with a
pointed window with 3 pointed lights, panel tracery and hood
mould. Battlemented mid C15 clerestory above with 5 windows each
with pointed head, 2 semi-circular headed lights, panel tracery
and hood mould. C15 chancel with plinth and 2 pointed windows in
north side, each with 3 pointed cusped lights, panel tracery and
hood mould. East end defined by diagonal 2 stage buttresses.
Pointed east window with 5 painted cusped lights, panel tracery,
hood mould and head label stops. South side with some brick
patching and a small, pointed priest's doorway with segmental
head, continuous moulded surround, hood mould and traceried plank
door. 2 pointed windows above, each with 3 pointed cusped
lights, panel tracery and hood mould, C14 south aisle remodelled
in the mid C15. East end with a pointed window, 3 ogee headed
lights, plain panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops.
South side with 3 flattened triangular headed windows, each with
3 ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood moulds. Gabled C15
brick patched porch with pointed south doorway with moulded head,
slender responds with moulded imposts and hood mould with head
label stops. Interior flanking stone benches and C14 doorway
with pointed head, richly moulded continuous surround, hood mould
and head label stops. Panelled studded plank door with smaller
doorway within with segmental head and inscription: 'God Save the
King 1633'. Single window beyond porch with flattened tirnagular
head, 3 ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould.
Pointed window in west end with 3 ogee headed lights, plain panel
tracery, hood mould and head label stops. C15 clerestory
identical to that on the north side. Tall mid C14 interior tower
arch with pointed, double chamfered head and triple responds.
South-west corner of tower with C14 ogee headed doorway with
continuously moulded surround and plank door. Mid C14, 5 bay
north and south arcades, with pointed, double chamfered heads,
octagonal piers, polygonal responds and moulded capitals. C15
north and south aisle parclose screens, each side of which have 5
ogee headed ornate openwork, panel traceried, sections. South
aisle with ogee headed, cusped piscina. C14 pointed chancel arch
with double chamfered head and polygonal responds with moulded
capitals. C15 screen with 5 openwork traceried sections with
crocketed and finialled ogee heads and painted lower blind
panels. Chancel with C14 cusped ogee headed piscina. C15 pews
with hinged doors with simple early panel tracery. C19 choir
stalls, reredos, communion rail. C15 brass eagle lectern of an
East Anglian school with moulded, bulbous pedestal with 3 small
lions at its foot. Pulpit of 1615 related to that at Burgh le
Marsh, with steps leading up to hexagonal pulpit with ornate
bands of fretwork and stylised dragons; book rest inscribed:
'William Worship Doctor in Divinite.' Paired, fluted angle
columns with moulded panels and fretwork. Ornate sounding board
and canopy, the latter with rich scroll work and pendentive
finials. C15 octagonal font on a tall, panelled pedestal, the
octagonal bowl supported by head and foliate motifs, and each
side of the bowl with a shield set in a cusped arch. C16 altar
table in south aisle. C19 roofs re-using C15 timbers and
medieval stone corbels and C15 south aisle roof. Monuments
include one of alabaster streaked with orange and pink and faded
paint and gilding to Sir Valentine Browne, died 1600, and
Elizabeth his wife; with 8 sons and 7 daughters kneeling below
on a rectangular moulded plinth; the kneeling figures of Browne
and his wife above, beneath a semi-circular arch with panelled
soffit, flanking pilasters, bracketed key and cartouche above.
Another alabaster monument, streaked pink and grey, to John
Browne, died 1614, and Cicely, his wife; both figures kneel in
prayer beneath a semi-circular arch with panelled soffit,
flanking pilasters and cartouche over. Ashlar standing monument
to William Bonde, died 1559, with high plinth with geometric
patterning, flanking free standing columns, cartouche above with
skull, coat of arms, rays of sunlight and a tiny bearded bust.
Late C13 or early C14 brass in floor of south aisle, with head
and shoulders of knight with hands in prayer. One of 4 or 5 of
the earliest brasses in England.
Listing NGR: TF5092161858
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.