If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of All Saints, Friskney

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 3 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 418913

OS Grid Reference: TF4606255402
OS Grid Coordinates: 546062, 355402
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0759, 0.1789

Location: Church Lane, Friskney, Lincolnshire PE22 8NA

Locality: Friskney
Local Authority: East Lindsey District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE22 8NA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


There is also a scheduled monument, Churchyard Cross, All Saints Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Explore more of the area around Friskney, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

FRISKNEY CHURCH LANE
TF 45 NE
(north side)
6/42 Church of
All Saints
3.2.67
I

Parish church. Late C12, late C13, mid C14, mid C15, restored by
W. Butterfield in 1879. Limestone rubble and ashlar, some red
sandstone, some red brick and some render. Lead roofs with stone
coped gables and cross finials. West tower, nave with north and
south aisles and south porch, and chancel. C12 4 stage west
tower raised in the C13 and again in the C15. Moulded plinth and
string course and 2 stage angle buttresses. C13 west window with
pointed head, Y tracery, hood mould and grotesque head label
stops. Single lancets on north and south sides with hood moulds
and head label stops. Pointed window above, on west side, of
c.1300 with 2 plate lancets and oculus, and hood mould. 2 C15
stages above are slightly battered. Pointed window to west with
bowtell moulded surround, 2 ogee headed lights, panel tracery and
hood mould. Clock on south side. Bell openings on all 4 sides
with pointed heads, 2 cusped ogee headed lights, panel tracery
and hood mould. Moulded eaves and battlements above. North
aisle heavily restored in 1879. Regularly placed 2 stage
buttresses. Pointed west window with 4 cusped ogee headed
lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Moulded eaves above with
small sculptured motifs and corner gargoyle to north. North side
with window to the west with pointed head, 3 cusped ogee headed
lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Late C12 pointed doorway
to left with a double chamfered head, single flanking shafts,
that to the left with a waterleaf capital; that to the right,
C19. 4 windows to left with pointed heads, 3 cusped ogee headed
lights each, panel tracery and hood moulds. East end with a
pointed window, 4 cusped ogee headed lights, panel tracery and
hood mould. Moulded eaves above with small sculptured motifs and
corner gargoyle to north. Late C15 clerestory with 5 pointed
windows each with bowtell moulded surround, 2 cusped ogee headed
lights, panel tracery and hood moulds. North side of chancel
with 2 C15 windows to the right, each with 3 semi-circular cusped
lights, panel tracery, hood moulds and head label stops.
Truncated window of a similar design to the left, re-set in
blocked brick patched opening, originally leading to a north
chapel, now demolished. Below, a very small opening with re-
entrant curved triangular head. Fragmentary jamb of chapel's east
window visible above to left. East end of the chancel defined
by 3 stage angle buttresses each with richly moulded plinth and
small niche with cusped ogee head with crockets, finial and head
label stops; base with large grotesque animal. Large pointed
window of 1570 with 5 pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery, hood
mould and head label stops. Moulded string course above with
small sculptural motifs. Moulded parapet with finial and outer
pinnacles. South side of chancel with moulded plinth and string
courses. 3 four stage buttresses with similar niches to those on
the east end. They alternate with 2 pointed windows and a
doorway; the former each with 3 cusped pointed lights, panel
tracery, hood mould and head label stops; the latter with a
pointed head, double bowtell moulded surround, hood mould, head
label stops and plank door. 4 light pointed window beyond with
pointed cusped heads, panel tracery, hood mould and head label
stops. Moulded eaves above with projecting gargoyles,
battlements and pinnacles. South aisle heavily restored in C19.
Pointed east window, 4 ogee headed cusped lights, panel tracery
and hood mould. South side with 4 windows alternating with 2
stage buttresses, the former each with 3 cusped ogee headed
lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Another similar window
beyond the gabled C15 porch to the left. The latter with a
pointed south doorway with a moulded head with finial, polygonal
jambs with moulded capitals, hood mould and finial. Pointed
inner doorway with continuously moulded surround, hood mould and
double plank doors. West end of the south aisle with a pointed
window with 4 cusped, ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood
mould. Late C15 clerestory above identical to that on the north
side. Tall C14 tower arch with a pointed triple chamfered head
and polygonal responds. Doorway to bell chamber above, with
plank door. Internal south west mid C12 doorway with semi-
circular chamfered head and panelled door. First stage tower
windows with hood moulds and head label stops. Mid C15 north and
south arcades with pointed, double chamfered heads with
continuous hood moulds, octagonal piers and polygonal responds
with moulded capitals. North arcade with small semi-circular
headed archway cut through by chancel arch. C15 parclose screens
at the east end of the north and south aisles, the west end of
the north aisle, and a C15 rood screen set in C14 chancel arch
with a pointed double chamfered head dying into rectangular
jambs. All the screens with openwork traceried panels with
cusped panel tracery, crocketed and finialled ogee heads.
Earlier roof line of former chancel above arch to east. Rood
loft staircase in sout arcade to east, with ogee head, continuous
moulded surround. Pointed opening above at level of rood loft.
South aisle with squint to chancel, with an aumbry to the left.
South aisle of nave with C14 pointed, cusped piscina. C19
piscina behind organ. C15 sedilia somewhat re-modelled at a
later date, with 3 semi-circular headed openings with richly
moulded piers, continuous hood mould and head label stops; panel
tracery decorates the backs, C14 piscinas flank sedilia with
cusped, ogee head. East window flanked by single grotesque
figures clasping tapers. C15 queen post roof over the nave, with
cusped curved braces and collar beams on cusped arched braces.
The spandrels of the tie beams at the east end painted with 2
censing angels and the Annunciation. C19 roof over chancel with
stone corbels. Early C14 paintings on clerestory walls, very
faded, of King David, the Prophets, Annunciation, Nativity,
Resurrection, Ascension, and the Assumption, etc. Ornate pulpit
of 1659 of 4 sides with arched panels, strap work bands, fluted
pilaster strips, ornate back panel and tester, the latter with
brackets and pendentive finials. C15 bench ends in the chancel
with poppy heads. C18 oak hudd in interior porch with semi-
circular opening, gable, recessed panels inside and 3 sided back;
said to be one of six in existence and originally used to shelter
the priest at funerals. C14 defaced effigy of a knight minus his
arms and shins. C18 chest. Small C17 chest with strapwork band.
Plain C17 chest with iron fillings. 2 medieval gravestones in
west end. C15 octagonal ironstone font, crudely worked, with
cusped panels and bowl supported by small head and foliate
motifs; octagonal pedestal.


Listing NGR: TF4605755400

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.