If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Mentmore Towers, Mentmore

Description: Mentmore Towers

Grade: I
Date Listed: 26 September 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 42105

OS Grid Reference: SP9025119659
OS Grid Coordinates: 490251, 219659
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8682, -0.6906

Location: Mentmore, Buckinghamshire LU7 0QH

Locality: Mentmore
Local Authority: Aylesbury Vale District Council
County: Buckinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: LU7 0QH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Mentmore, Buckinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SP 91 NW MENTMORE

4/120 Mentmore Towers
(formerly listed as Mentmore House)
26.9.51

GV I

Formerly a country house, now the British Seat of the World
Government of the Age of Enlightenment. Built 1852-4 by Sir Joseph
Paxton and G.H. Stokes for Baron Mayer Amschel de Rothschild.
Ancaster ashlar, flat lead roofs. In the Jacobethan style, much
influenced by Wollaton Hall. Main block of 2 storeys is almost
square in plan with projecting 3-storey corner towers and single storey
wings flanking entrance courtyard. Right wing masks service court to
north. Main block is articulated by entablatures and pairs of lugged
pilasters on plinths: ground floor is Doric with triglyph entablature;
first floor is Ionic and has plinths with cartouches. Balustraded
parapet with stone urns on plinths and, on N.E. side, a central scrolled
gable with broken segmental pediment, clock and flanking obelisks.
Towers have Corinthian pilasters on plinths with cartouches, entablatures
with carved heads, and scrolled gables with small pediments, central
open roundels, heraldic lion finials and corner obelisks. Groups of round
stone chimney shafts with panelled capitals and linked cornice heads.
Stone mullion windows with double transoms. N.E. front has 5-light
windows in outer bays, and slightly projecting centrepiece with 2-light
windows flanking 4-light. Towers have 4-light windows or elaborate
strapwork cartouches. Central double panelled doors with large
radiating fanlight. Single storey porch has semi-circular arch to
each face with carved lion-head keystones, flanking pairs of lugged
Doric columns, and triglyph entablature with central Rothschild crest.
Flanking wings have rows of 6 arched niches, triglyph entablature and
balustraded parapet, and terminate in similar 2-storey towers to front.
Remainder is similar, the S.E. front with central heraldic crests
and cyphers dated 1851, and keyblock dated AH1878. Service wing is of
2 storeys and a basement with a single Doric order and similar
parapets, and is built around a small court with inner walls of
white brick and entrance arch to N.W. Interior: central 2-storey hall
is faced with Caen stone and has arcaded first floor gallery with
marble balustrade. Glazed ceiling with wooden ribs, plaster coving with
moulded strapwork cartouches. Ground floor of hall has large arched
doors with early examples of plate glass, and fireplace, said to
have come from Rubens' house in Antwerp, of black and white marble with
large projecting entablature hood on scrolled sheep herms. Other
ground floor rooms have heavy carved marble fireplaces with large
mirrors above, carved skirting boards and door surrounds with
panelled doors. Rooms in S.E. range have plaster ceilings with gilt Rococo
decoration, some C18 imported from France. Dining room has very fine
C18 boiseries and gilt ceiling from the Hotel de Villars, Paris, with
C18 Genoese velvet in some panels and paintings by Van Loo over the
mirrors. Small room to right of entrance front also has C18 french panelling
with overdoors by Boucher. Stairwell is of Caen stone with Jacobethan
plaster ceiling; single lower flight and double upper flights of stairs
with marble balustrades. First floor has suites of bedrooms, also
with marble fireplaces, and with bathroom fittings adapted from C18
french commodes. His Lordship's Room has plaster gilt Rococo ceiling.
Mentmore is also notable as one of the earliest houses to have a hot
water and central heating system.
(SAVE Britain's Heritage, Mentmore for the Nation, 1977)


Listing NGR: SP9025119659

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.