If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Michael, Linby

Description: Church of St Michael

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 13 October 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 425323

OS Grid Reference: SK5345350892
OS Grid Coordinates: 453453, 350892
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0526, -1.2040

Location: Church Lane, Linby, Nottinghamshire NG15 8AE

Locality: Linby
Local Authority: Gedling Borough Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG15 8AE

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


There is also a scheduled monument, Standing Cross Known As Top Cross, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Explore more of the area around Linby, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

LINBY CHURCH LANE
SK 55 SW
(west side)
1/73 Church of
13.10.66 St. Michael
G.V. II*
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, C18, C19. Restored 1898
by Austin, Johnson and Hicks of Newcastle, and 1914. Coursed and
squared and random rubble and ashlar. Slate roofs. Ashlar
dressings. Partial chamfered plinths. West tower, nave,
chancel, south aisle, vestries, north porch. West tower, C13 and
C14, 2 stages, has moulded string course and eaves band with 2
gargoyles to south. Moulded crenellated parapet with 4 crocketed
pinnacles. South west corner has canted stair turret with 5
lights. First stage has to south, chamfered lancet. To west,
moulded C13 door with hood mould and above it, late C14 triple
lancet with panel tracery, hood mould and mask stops. Second
stage has 4 C14 cusped double lancets with hood moulds. To
north, clock. Nave, 3 bays, has to north 2 late C18 double
lancets with Y tracery. Chancel east end has late C19 cusped
triple lancet, C15 style, with hood mould. Coped gable with
cross. South side has to left, blocked door and to its right,
C13 cusped lancet, To right again, C12 double lancet with hood
mould. South aisle, 3 bays, C.14, raised C16, has moulded eaves
band and coped west gable. East end has restored Cl4 ogee headed
triple lancet with reticulated tracery and hood mould. South
side has to left, blocked doorway. To its right, C13 double
lancet with hood mould, and mask stops. To its right, C16 cusped
double lancet with chamfered square reveal and hood mould. South
west vestry, mid-C20, 3 bays, has parapet and to west, door
flanked by single casements. To south, a casement. Lean-to
north vestry, late C19, has 2 buttresses and coped gables. To
west, shouldered doorway. To north, 2 lancets. North porch,
early C16, has 2 diagonal buttresses each with traceried and
shield panels. Gable has shield panel and cross finial. Slab
roof. Moulded doorway with hood mould, flanked to left by a
squint. Interior has stone benches and chamfered transverse rib
vault. C19 inner door with C12 tympanum. Tower arch, C13,
chamfered and rebated, has moulded imposts. Nave south arcade,
C13, 3 bays, has 2 octagonal piers and responds. Moulded square
bases and nailhead and cable moulded capitals. Arches double
chamfered and rebated. North side has 2 windows by Hardman,
1875. Kingpost roof, late C18, partly ceiled. Chancel has plain
arch, Cl3. North side has four centred arched opening to vestry,
and traceried C15 style screen. To its right, small cusped ogee
recess. East end has C20 timber dado and gradine, and window
with stained glass, C19. South side has to east, 2 windows and
to west, blocked door and hagioscope. Scissor braced roof, C19.
South aisle has panelled dado, 1972. East end has stained glass
window by P & Q, 1958. South side has cusped ogee headed piscina
and aumbry. Fittings include carved and shaped C19 benches and
late C20 stalls and desks. Heavily carved C19 octagonal timber
pulpit. C19 lectern and octagonal font. Carved C18 armchair.
Large chip-carved and inscribed settle with Arms of John Ayre
Sitwell, 1652. Carved late Cl7 armchair. Memorials include
fragments of C14 cross, alabaster tablet on corbels, 1557, and
moulded ashlar tablets, 1679 and 1684. Marble and slate tablets
1806 and 1891. 2 carved wood panels, one inscribed "Rich. Roe in
Eperston Fecit 1700".


Listing NGR: SK5345350892

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |