Parish Church of St Lawrence, Wymington
Description: Parish Church of St Lawrence
Date Listed: 13 July 1964
English Heritage Building ID: 431435
OS Grid Reference: SP9552164398
OS Grid Coordinates: 495521, 264398
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2695, -0.6016
Location: Church Lane, Wymington, Bedford Borough NN10 9LN
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
WYMINGTON CHURCH LANE
SP 96 SE
2/675 Parish Church of
Fine mid-C14 parish church. It was built by John Curteys, Mayor of the Staple
of Lalais. His tomb dated 1391 is situated in the S. side of the chancel.
The church is built of limestone rubble with some Northants. ironstone. It
consists of nave with N. and S. aisles, chancel, W. tower, S. porch and N.
chapel. The latter was converted to a vestry in 1845 when a number of
restorations to the Church were made. The church has typical Decorated
elements. The nave is of 4 bays, both it and the chancel have low
battlemented roofs. Ornate 2-storey S. porch with rib vault which has central
Green Man Boss. W. tower is C14 up to bell openings and Perpendicular above
with frieze, battlemented parapet and crocketed spire. The interior has C14
and C15 wall paintings including a large Doom over the chancel arch. Jacobean
pulpit. C14 font.
Listing NGR: SP9552164398
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.