If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 432795
OS Grid Reference: TQ7571752083
OS Grid Coordinates: 575717, 152083
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2409, 0.5160
Explore more of the area around Loose, Kent at Explore Britain.
TQ 7552 LOOSE
6/171 Church of All Saints
GV II *
Parish church. C13, restored by John Wotton, master of Maidstone
College c.1400-1417 . North aisle added 1820. South aisle and porch
1860. Nave rebuilt after fire 1878-79. Further alterations 1888.
West tower and chancel ragstone rubble. Small quantity of tufa to
tower. Rest of church roughly-coursed ragstone. Plain tile roofs.
Wood shingles to spire. West tower overlapping nave and south aisle.
Nave, south aisle, south porch; south chancel chapel continuous with
aisle, chancel extending east of chapel, north vestry and organ loft,
north aisle. West tower: C13. No stages. No plinth. Angle
buttresses, that to south-east covered by south aisle. Splay-footed
octagonal spire with weathervane, and with louvres towards base of
each principal face. Rectangular lancet towards top of each face of
tower. Very narrow 2-light stone mullion window towards base to west
and south. South aisle and south chancel chapel: south aisle 1860,
with c.1888 fenestration, south chancel chapel circa 1888. No plinth.
Buttress between 2 sections and south-east clasping buttress. Three
2-light C19 windows to south, in a C15 style, and one to east. East
end wall incorporates 4 mid-to-late C17 stone memorial tablets.
South porch: 1860. Plain parapet to west, gabled to south and east,
with moulded stone coping. Trefoiled light to west and south.
Moulded pointed-arched stone doorway to east, with hoodmould. Re-hung
ribbed medieval door. Chancel: C13. No plinth. Integral clasping
north-east and south-east buttresses. C19 south window. 3-light C19
east window. North vestry and organ loft: 1888. Chamfered stone
plinth. 2-light east window. Rectangular east doorway with fanlight.
Two 2-light north windows with cinquefoil-headed lights. North door
up 4 steps in shallow projecting stone porch. North aisle: 1820.
Chamfered stone plinth. One buttress. 2 tall 2-light north windows
with moulded jambs, cinquefoil-headed lights, squared heads and
hoodmould. Similar 2-light west window with cambered head and
hoodmould. Nave, west end: C19 three-light window with intersecting
tracery and hoodmould. Stone porch of 1888 with cusped bargeboards
and boarded outer double doors. Chamfered stone plinth to nave within
porch. Moulded, pointed-arched early C15 stone inner doorway with
moulded hoodmould, and Bethersden marble step. Interior: structure:
3-bay late C19 nave arcade to north and south, in a C14 style, with
moulded octagonal columns and doubly-chamfered pointed arches. Pointed
early C15 chancel arch moulded to west side only. Small medieval
doorway with cambered head between base of tower and nave, moulded to
nave side only. Tower windows deeply splayed with round-headed rere-
arches. Spiral stone rood-loft stairs within thickness of east wall
of nave to north side, leading out of nave with rebate for door. Roof:
C19 moulded crown-posts to nave and aisles. Collared common rafter
roof to chancel, south chapel and organ loft. Chamfered medieval
cornice beam to chancel, with C19 brattishing. Fittings: piscina to
east end of south wall of chancel, with moulded pointed arch and
trefoiled inner soffit. 2 hatchments to west end of nave, associated
with Frances Martin, d.1791, and the Rev. Denny Martin-Fairfax, d.1800.
Hatchment to west end of aisle associated with Sarah Whatman, d.1775.
Stained glass: 2 north windows of north aisle by Kempe, 1892, dedicated
to members of Jones and Marsham families. Monument: tablet on north
wall of chancel to Richard Beale, d.1702. Marble, with broad central
break, moulded plinth and shaped base plate. 2 cherub's heads to base
of inscription. Narrow draped side panels. Moulded cornice surmounted
by bust of horse's head. (J. Newman, West Kent and the Weald, 1980.
R. Thornburgh, Exploring Loose Village, 1978).
Listing NGR: TQ7571752083
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.