Church of All Saints, Capel
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 20 October 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 437518
OS Grid Reference: TQ6215645407
OS Grid Coordinates: 562156, 145407
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1849, 0.3188
Location: Tudeley Lane (B2017), Capel, Kent TN11 0NW
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Explore more of the area around Capel, Kent at Explore Britain.
TQ 64 NW CAPEL TUDELEY LANE (off)
1/311 Church of All Saints
Church. Late medieval or earlier origins, tower of 1765, church described as
"lately rebuilt" in 1798 (Hasted), thorough rebuilding of nave and addition of
north aisle in 1875 by Robert Medley Fulford of Devon (Church Guide), chancel
arch 1885, some alteration of 1967 associated with the beginning of a
programme of re-glazing the church with windows designed by Marc Chagall.
Chancel sandstone brought to course with sandstone dressings; nave sandstone
blocks to sill level, Flemish bond brick above; tower Flemish bond brick with
blue headers on sandstone footings, north aisle sandstone rubble; slate roofs.
Plan: Chancel, nave, west tower, 3-bay north aisle, south porch. The chancel
masonry is probably medieval and Pevsner suggests that the sandstone footings
of the nave may be the foundations of the medieval church. In 1765 an appeal
was made for £1,125 for the rebuilding (Pevsner) and the form of the nave and
chancel barrel roofs may date from the 1760s phase. Fulford's contribution
was to re-gothicize the church with a mixture of Decorated and Perpendicular
style windows, and to add the north aisle in a late C13/early C14 style with a
baptistry at the west end. The east window was altered in 1967 for the
insertion of glass to commemorate Sarah Venetia d'Avigdor Goldsmid. The
church was restored in the late 1960s and 1970s, the work supervised by Robert
Potter (Church Guide).
Exterior: The chancel has angle buttresses with set-offs and a round-headed
east window dated 1967, the gable evidently rebuilt at this date. The south
side has a C19 2-light Decorated style window to the east with flush tracery,
trefoil-headed lights and a quatrefoil in the head. One-light C19 trefoil-
headed Decorated style window to the west. Between the windows an arched
moulded priests' doorway with a hoodmould and C19 door of overlapping planks
with strap hinges. The north side of the chancel has 2 one-light Decorated
style trefoil-headed windows. Symmetrical nave with C19 brick buttresses with
stone set-offs to left and right. 2 3-light C19 Perpendicular style 3-light
traceried windows with hoodmoulds and uncarved label stops. C19 gabled porch
with deep eaves and a peg-tile roof with a coursed sandstone base below a
timber structure with glazed cusped lights. Tall segmental-headed outer
doorway; moulded Tudor arched inner doorway with a C19 plank and cover strip
door. North aisle with a lean-to roof, an angle buttress at the east corner.
The westernmost bay (the baptistry) marked off by buttresses with set-offs.
String course below the Decorated style windows: 2-light east and west windows
each with trefoil-headed lights below a flush tracery quatrefoil. Centre
window fo the aisle 3-light, outer windows 2-light, all with trefoil-headed
lights. 2-stage west tower with a plain parapet and a tile-hung bell-shaped
spirelet. Diagonal buttresses with stone footings and stone copings to the
set-offs; string course above the bottom stage. The west face has a recessed
C19 or C20 2-leaf door with a Tudor arch and cover strips. The north and
south faces have round-headed belfry windows, the north face also has a round-
headed window to the bottom stage and a C19 trefoil-headed window below the
Interior: Plastered walls. 1885 moulded chancel arch with a hoodmould and
carved label stops by Wadmore and Baker (Pevsner), springing from engaged
shafts with waterleaf capitals and bases. 3-bay 1875 north aisle with
octagonal sandstone piers on moulded bases with moulded caps and 3-centred
moulded arches. The first pier from the west has an odd corbel projection on
the south side. Plain round-headed tower arch. Plain barrel ceilings to the
nave and chancel, the nave ceiling marbled in green and yellow in 1967 by
Robert Potter, possibly restoring existing C18 marbled decoration. The
chancel has a presumably C19 sedilia on the south side formed by dropping the
sill of the eastern window. Plain altar table of the C20. Communion rail
with turned balusters, described by Pevsner as late C17 but perhaps with a
later handrail. The nave has a timber drum pulpit with some re-used C17
panels with a design of scratch-moulded intersecting triangles. Set of plain
C20 benches. The font, in the westernmost bay of the nroth aisle, is probably
C19: octagonal on a stem with a moulded base, the faces of the bowl carved
with blind tracery. The tower preserves original C18 ceiling beams and joists
and includes 2 C19 windows re-sited and now artificially-lit from behind, when
the Chagall glass was introduced, one probably by Clayton and Bell of about
1880, the other circa 1860s. Royal Arms in a nowy-headed frame over the tower
Monuments: Monument to George Fane, died 1571 in the north wall of the
chancel. A tomb-chest decorated with strapwork panels divided by pilasters.
Above the chest a canopy with Ionic columns and an entablature, noted by
Pevsner as being an early example of correct classical detail. Inscription
carved in relief on the chest. Some original colour survives. Brass to
Thomas Stydolf, died 1475, with 2 small figures. A purbeck marble matrix is
all that survives of a second brass. The nave has 2 C18 marble wall
monuments, one on either side of the south door.
Stained Glass: A remarkable glazing programme of European importance to the
designs of Marc Chagall. The east window, of 1967, is the earliest and was
commissioned by Sir Henry and Lady D'Avigdor Goldsmid to commemorate their
daughter, who was drowned in a sailing accident in 1963. The window cames are
irregular, to avoid the usual grid effect. The lower half of the window is
blue and shows a girl floating in the sea with mourning figures around. The
crucifixion, mostly yellow, is shown above, with a rearing horse at the foot
of the cross. The patron commissioned a further 7 windows for the aisle and
nave, installed in 1974. These are abstract designs with wonderful colours,
mostly yellow on the south side of the church, blue in the north aisle. In
1985 a further 4 windows for the chancel by Chagall were installed, mostly
Source Pevsner, West Kent and the Weald, (1978 edn.).
Listing NGR: TQ6179545584
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.