Clarendon Chambers, Nottingham
Description: Clarendon Chambers
Date Listed: 30 November 1995
English Heritage Building ID: 456498
OS Grid Reference: SK5672040322
OS Grid Coordinates: 456720, 340322
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9573, -1.1571
Location: 32 Clarendon Street, Nottingham NG1 5JD
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SK5640SE CLARENDON STREET
646-1/13/152 (East side)
Formerly known as: Royal Midland Institute for the Blind
Royal Midland Institute for the Blind, now offices and
workshops. Dated 1853. By Aicken & Capes of London. Addition
dated 1905. Rear addition c1899. Restored and converted late
C20. Red brick and ashlar, with ashlar dressings and slate
roofs with crested ridge tiles. Renaissance Revival style.
EXTERIOR: quoins, first floor band, eaves cornice, shaped
coped gables with finials. Windows are mainly casements with
wooden cross mullions. 2 storeys; 7 x 8 windows. L-plan, on
corner site, with an elaborate corner pavilion and symmetrical
facades with minor variations.
Corner pavilion has 2 identical fronts. Ashlar ground floor
with rusticated quoins and 3 round-arched windows with
keystones. Above, a canted oriel window under a shaped gable.
Clarendon Street front has a central block, 3 windows, with a
central gable. On each side, a projecting bay with single
windows. Right bay has a doorway, left bay a ground floor
window, both segment-headed. To left, a projecting end bay
balancing the corner pavilion, with single 3-light windows.
Basement has various windows, some with stone flush mullions.
Addition, to left, has 3 openings on each floor, coped gable
and finial. Ground floor windows are cross mullioned casements
with artificial stone surrounds. Second floor has a larger
round-arched central window with voussoirs.
Chaucer Street front has a central block, 3 windows, with
central gable, flanked by single projecting bays with
segment-headed ground floor windows. To right, a projecting
end bay with single 3-light windows.
Rear addition, 3 and 4 storeys, L-plan, forms the west and
north sides of a courtyard. At the east end, a projecting
corner block, 4 storeys, 3 windows, with shaped gables and
INTERIOR has moulded cornices in ground floor rooms.
(White's Directory of Nottingham: 1864-: 156).
Listing NGR: SK5672040322
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.