Description: Church of St John the Baptist
Date Listed: 12 November 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 460267
OS Grid Reference: SO4358681741
OS Grid Coordinates: 343586, 281741
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4307, -2.8311
1943-1/5/121 Church of St John the Baptist
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St John the Baptist)
Parish church. C12, rebuilt 1654, chancel 1664. Nave, chancel
and west tower. Sandstone rubble; C20 corrugated tile roof
(nave); plain tile roof (chancel). Nave (south front): 2
chamfered elliptical-headed 2-light mullion windows;
Transitional south doorway with chamfered semi-circular arch
on attached columns to scalloped impost blocks; C19 rubble
porch with stone tile roof.
EXTERIOR: chancel: C14 2-light trefoil-headed mullioned window
in chamfered square-headed surround; plank door in chamfered
pointed arch; tablet, c1662, with moulded cornice, pilasters
and Arms of Henry and Alice Bough; 3-light east window with
lattice glazing under chamfered pointed arch. Tower: plain
semi-circular arch to south doorway below C17 round-headed
window and earlier opening; drip courses; C19 sundial;
castellated parapet; weather-vane.
INTERIOR: moulded ceiling-frame with plaster panels to nave.
Stop-chamfered raking strut roof, dated 1664, to nave. C18
west gallery. C16 pews; C17 panelled and hooded pulpit and
reading desk; C17 box-pews with cockspur hinges; C17 enriched
canopy pew with 2 compartments and open arcade; C17 wall
paintings with baroque surrounds. Tablets: Isabella Smith,
d.1801; John Onions, d.1786.
HISTORY: believed to have been severely damaged during the
Civil War; a rare example of Commonwealth church building.
Listing NGR: SO4358281738
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.