The Chapel, Bembridge School, Bembridge
Description: The Chapel, Bembridge School
Date Listed: 9 May 1996
English Heritage Building ID: 461773
OS Grid Reference: SZ6413086723
OS Grid Coordinates: 464130, 86723
Latitude/Longitude: 50.6766, -1.0937
Location: Jenny Streets Lane, Bembridge, Isle of Wight PO35 5PG
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SZ 68 NW BEMBRIDGE HILL WAY
2/10005 The Chapel, Bembridge
School chapel. 1931-3; by W.A. Harvey and H.G. Wicks; extended 1961-2. Buff-coloured brick in stretcher bond. Clay plain tile roof. PLAN: Rectangular nave with aisle-posts as the only interruption to one large space. At the liturgical east [west] end an extra bay was added in 1961-2 and at the liturgical west [east] end a tower under which is the entrance with a gallery above. Domestic Revival style. EXTERIOR: Large roof carried down over low aisle walls with big brick buttresses with set-offs between plain 3-light windows with leaded panes. The roof is gabled at the liturgical east end and at the opposite end it is hipped with integral north and south porches clasping the big, slightly battered tower, its plain parapet set back and with plain windows, mostly replaced; the porches and the doorway at the base of the tower have plain round arches. Over the tower doorway a relief in stone of St George and the Dragon, by Alec Miller, 1949.
INTERIOR: The nave is one large space open to the timber queen-post roof structure, with aisle-posts with curved braces to the tie-beams. Brick round arch in the tower with balcony. The pews, like choir-stalls, face inwards. Dado panelling. Many of the fittings and decorations are the work of former members of the school and some stained glass by Edward Woore.
SOURCE: Buildings of England, page 732.
Listing NGR: SZ6413086723
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.