Description: The Wardrooms
Date Listed: 6 June 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 462548
OS Grid Reference: TQ7659269518
OS Grid Coordinates: 576592, 169518
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3972, 0.5371
TQ7669NE CENTRAL AVENUE, Pembroke
686-1/2/94 (South side)
06/06/84 The Wardrooms
(Formerly Listed as:
CENTRAL AVENUE, Hms Pembroke
Central Mess Block at HMS Pembroke)
Mess block and offices, now offices. Dated 1901 on fireplace;
by Sir Henry Pilkington. Red brick with Portland dressings,
gable and ridge stacks, and slate roof.
PLAN: double-depth plan with central stair hall.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement; 7-window range. A near
symmetrical range has a central square tower and end gables, a
rusticated banded raised basement, cill and plat bands, stone
frieze and modillion cornice; outer gables have segmental
A large porch to the piano nobile has a banded base with a
central round-arched gateway with scrolled top and flights of
steps up each side with a balustrade; above, 4 Tuscan columns
and entablature, with a parapet and central balustrade, 2 bays
deep with blocked antae, to a round-arched doorway with good
fanlight and double doors.
4-stage 1-bay tower is banded as the main range, with a
round-arched first-floor balcony doorway beneath a 6/6-pane
sash, a bracketed stone second-floor balcony, segmental-arched
6/6-pane sash with architrave, and a wreathed oculus; an
octagonal belfry has balustrade all round, a cornice with
segmental-arched pediments over clocks to front and sides,
recessed louvred windows between, and a dome and finial.
Basement windows have split keystones to 6/6-pane sashes,
cambered heads to outer windows, wider elliptical arches to
the inner bay which has tripartite windows. Upper floors have
architraves with pulvinated friezes and pediments over
keystones, paired to the inner bay, to 8/8-pane sashes; the
left-hand side has an inner bay with 3-light leaded casements,
on the ground-floor with column mullions and a raised
keystone, and a double-height round-arched stair window above
with 2 transoms and a central round-arched light. The first
floor has recessed aprons with cartouche between.
End gables have a 2-storey oriel on a massive moulded
bracketed base, windows as the front, and a niche in the gable
with a full-height figure. End returns have corbelled gable
stacks, and a large diagonally-set lateral stack in the
recessed rear section; segmental-arched bridges, reportedly
added later, connect with the outer mess blocks (qv), with
rusticated quoins, enriched cartouche keystones, crenellated
parapets and 5-light mullion windows.
Rear has 1-bay ends set back, central 5-window section has
outer canted bays with Ipswich windows beneath large
round-headed window, and similar tall intermediate windows.
Good dated cast-iron hoppers and down pipes.
INTERIOR: A large and richly decorated entrance stair hall has
an open well stair with panelled wainscot and square newels
with finials, and an open landing carried on marble columns
over an axial passage with round arches. To the rear is the
fine mess room, with a carved timber Free Baroque fireplace
and overmantel with river gods and a panel inscribed ER 1901,
half panelling, open end gallery, and a 4-bay queen post roof
on dragon corbels holding cartouches; breakfast room to front
has marble Ionic columns and a panelled ceiling. Enriched
doors with Art Nouveau brasswork and pedimented heads.
HISTORY: forms the middle of three richly detailed mess
blocks, and part of a carefully planned early C20 naval
barracks, with the Captain's House, barracks (Pasley Rd) and
other ancillary buildings (qqv).
Listing NGR: TQ7659469525
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.