Hall Range and Chapel at St Peters School, City of York
Description: Hall Range and Chapel at St Peters School
Date Listed: 14 June 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 463123
OS Grid Reference: SE5961152623
OS Grid Coordinates: 459611, 452623
Latitude/Longitude: 53.9663, -1.0928
Location: Clifton, York YO30 6AB
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
1112-1/7/205 (South West side)
14/06/54 Hall range and Chapel at St Peter's
(Formerly Listed as:
C19 Block and Chapel at Royal School
of St Peter)
School hall and attached chapel. Hall 1838, extended at rear
c1850; chapel 1861-2. Original building by John Harper; chapel
by JB and W Atkinson. Front of hall range faced with limestone
ashlar; elsewhere of red brick in Flemish bond with stone
dressings; brick stacks. Chapel of coursed small stone blocks
on moulded plinth, with ashlar dressings and slate roof.
EXTERIOR: hall range on moulded plinth has 2-storey gabled
frontispiece flanked by 1-storey 3-bay ranges with 2-storey
gabled crosswings at each end: frontispiece and end bays
project and have octagonal corner turrets. Frontispiece
turrets are of 3 stages, defined by bands of quatrefoil
tracery, the lower extending the full width of front and
incorporating corbel heads. Ground stages have blind sunk
panels; the second, niches with pedestals and crocketed gabled
canopies; upper stages pierced by pairs of traceried lights.
At the head is coved cornice incorporating corbel heads and
grotesques beneath embattled parapet. Entrance in centre is
casement moulded 4-centred arch with panelled double doors
flanked by cinquefoiled niches with quatrefoiled spandrels.
Above is 6 light panel traceried oriel window surmounted by
parapet pierced with cinquefoiled tracery. Gable apex has
defaced shield of arms beneath weathered canopy surmounted by
Crosswings are flanked by slender 3-stage turrets, the top
stage consisting of blind trefoiled niches beneath embattled
parapet. Windows project as shallow 4-light oriels with
2-tiers of cinquefoiled tracery surmounted by embattled
parapets. Moulded sillstring continues over 1-storey ranges:
moulded string to gable coping incorporates corbel heads.
1-storey ranges have three traceried square-headed windows
beneath return stopped hoodmoulds. Coved eaves string with
corbel heads beneath embattled parapet.
Chapel: apsidal chancel, 6-bay nave, north door and west
bellcote. Apse is of 5 bays separated by gabled buttresses;
each contains a 2-light traceried window with 2-centred head
beneath hoodmould with foliate corbel stops and full width
sloped sill band. Nave north side articulated by 1-stage
buttresses. Shallow square porch with embattled parapet has
board double doors with wrought-iron hinges in 2-centred
chamfered arch with hoodmould: above is truncated window with
traceried head in stilted 2-centred arch. Other bays have
2-light windows with ogee trefoiled lights and quatrefoil
tracery. West end is gabled and has central weathered buttress
supporting gabled bellcote. Buttress is flanked by traceried
windows of 2 trefoiled lights beneath corbel-stopped
hoodmoulds. Bellcote has single opening and is surmounted by
wheel cross. Corbelled eaves course beneath coved coping
encircles nave and chancel. Windows generally have geometrical
tracery and square leaded lights.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Originally built as a Preprietary School by a company formed
by leading York citizens. In 1844 purchased by Dean and
Chapter and amalgamated with St Peter's School.
(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York:
RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-:
Listing NGR: SE5961152623
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.