Description: Natural Mineral Baths
Date Listed: 25 January 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 463309
OS Grid Reference: SK0575673501
OS Grid Coordinates: 405756, 373501
Latitude/Longitude: 53.2585, -1.9152
SK0573NE THE CRESCENT
616-1/3/76 (South West side)
25/01/51 Natural Mineral Baths
Natural mineral baths, now tourist information centre.
1851-53, altered 1923-24. By Henry Currey. Ashlar gritstone
with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate and part glazed roof.
EXTERIOR: single storey. Street front, 5 windows arranged
1:3:1. Projecting central section has rusticated pilasters and
between set back rusticated round arches topped with
entablature and parapet inscribed NATURAL MINERAL BATHS.
Central round headed doorway with double panel doors and
fanlight, flanked by single round headed windows. Set back
wings have pilasters and between set back rusticated round
arches topped with entablature and balustrade, each has a
single round headed window. All windows have early C20
INTERIOR: retains original layout. The entrance leads into
foyer, to right central hall with stained glass roof light and
rooms radiating off. To left of entrance access to source of
the spa water. Also from foyer is access to tiled corridor
with 2 baths leading off, male and female, both tiled and the
latter bath rounded to end with 7 cast-iron columns with
guilloche railing acting as supports to glazed skylight above.
Changing rooms, one a communal room with wooden partitions and
3 small sunken individual baths are served by a pair of
cubicles to each. A doorway, now blocked, once connected with
the Old Hall.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 116; The Derbyshire Heritage series:
Bower A: The Water Cure: Derby. Hall and Sons: 1985-: 12).
Listing NGR: SK0575673501
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.