Parish Church of St Peter, Leeds
Description: Parish Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 26 September 1963
English Heritage Building ID: 465926
OS Grid Reference: SE3065833301
OS Grid Coordinates: 430658, 433301
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7951, -1.5361
Location: 3 Kirkgate, Leeds LS1 6BZ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
714-1/79/229 (South side)
26/09/63 Parish Church of St Peter
Church. 1839-41, altered 1870-80. By RD Chantrell; Dr WF Hook,
vicar; alterations to east end 1870-80. Ashlar, slate roofs.
PLAN: equal-length chancel and nave, both with clerestories
and tall aisles; massive tower at centre of north aisle,
shallow chancel apse, low outer north aisle, south transept.
In Gothic Revival style.
EXTERIOR: main entrance below tower: massive oak doors,
original ironwork. Generally Perpendicular tracery, 5-light
east window, crocketed pinnacles, turrets at corners. Tower:
panelled sides, clock by Potts of Leeds, tall 2-light belfry,
openwork battlements, crocketed pinnacles.
INTERIOR: entry is into the crossing ; a long chancel with
steps up to sanctuary, crossing and transepts lierne-vaulted
and apse fan vaulted all in plaster. Arcades with moulded
arches. Enormous galleries along nave and chancel; decorated
canopies throughout, especially chancel stalls. Much use of
plaster painted to imitate stone/wood.
East end: sanctuary marble arcade with fine mosaic work by
Salviati of Venice, life-size figures of 12 apostles; reredos
of coloured marble and alabaster by GE Street representing
Christ in Glory flanked by saints, cartoons by Clayton and
Bell and executed by Rust, 1888. East window contains glass
collected on the continent by J Summers and given to the
church 1846. Panelled memorial tomb of Dr Hook, Dean of
Chichester, by Sir G Gilbert Scott, 1875.
(Sprittles, J: Leeds Parish Church History and Guide).
Listing NGR: SE3065933302
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.