Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 27 June 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 468643
OS Grid Reference: TG5214607165
OS Grid Coordinates: 652146, 307165
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6037, 1.7223
TG5207SW SOUTHTOWN ROAD
839-1/15/242 (East side)
27/06/53 Southtown And Gorleston
Church of St Mary
Parish church. 1831. By JJ Scoles, extended in 1893. Gault
brick. Slate roofs. Nave and narrow chancel with vestries
added north and south of the chancel.
EXTERIOR: nave with 5 tall lancets to north and south
separated by flat buttresses rising to low parapets. The
buttresses have knapped flint panels. West front with a low
narthex added 1925 entered through an arched doorway under a
shouldered pediment and flanked by a small lancet right and
left. Similar shouldered pediment framed between pair of tall
square pinnacles to main wall containing 3 stepped lancets.
Arched side doors. Wide gabled roof. Chancel with twin lancets
north and south and a blind east end.
INTERIOR: no arcades. Suspended ceiling. Gallery round 3 walls
removed 1914. Triple pointed sedilia and piscina in chancel.
Altar, reredos and panelling, pulpit and Litany desk relocated
from Church of St Peter (qv) 1964.
Listing NGR: TG5214607165
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.