Marske Hall, Saltburn, Marske and New Marske
Description: Marske Hall
Date Listed: 13 April 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 475527
OS Grid Reference: NZ6329422375
OS Grid Coordinates: 463294, 522375
Latitude/Longitude: 54.5926, -1.0220
Location: Hall Close, Saltburn Marske and New Marske, Redcar and Cleveland TS11 6BL
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SALTBURN, MARSKE AND NEW MARSKE
NZ6322SW REDCAR ROAD, Marske
802-1/5/16 (North side)
13/04/67 Marske Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
SALTBURN AND MARSKE BY THE SEA
REDCAR ROAD, Marske By The Sea
Country house, now Cheshire Foundation nursing home. 1625 with
late C19 alterations, for Sir William Pennyman. Additions and
alterations from 1963 for the Cheshire Foundation.
MATERIALS: coursed squared stone with plinth, quoins and
ashlar dressings; roof of plain tiles except for towers, which
have stone roofs.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with 3-storey towers; 9-bay range,
arranged 1:3:1:3:1; symmetrical except for wider left tower.
End and central towers project, and linking sections have
central full-height canted bay windows. All windows stone with
chamfered surrounds, mullions and transoms.
Central boarded door in plain reveals and stone lintel, with
glazing bars in mullioned 2-light overlight. 2-light windows
above door, on 3 floors in right tower, in left tower 2
windows; link sections have 4-light window flanking bays of 12
lights, arranged 2:2:4:2:2. Cyma recta hood strings except in
left tower where fenestration breaks through-floor levels; on
left returns of central and left towers where there are none.
High roof has parapet with carved putti corbels to projections
between small raised segments over windows between towers;
convex pyramidal roof to central and right towers; left has
ogival eaves to similar roof.
Single dormer behind each canted bay and 2 in bay to right of
door, all with flat heads. Stepped chimneys at right eaves, at
rear of main roof and on rear ranges.
Left return has restored 2-light ground-floor window towards
front, a 2-light window towards rear of first floor and
2-light mullioned attic windows, the lower lights wider and
the upper blocked, to front of centre of gable peak.
Right return has massive chimney stack, a second projection of
unknown purpose and mullioned and later windows, the latter in
Rear shows single storey kitchen was extended and raised to 2
storeys, probably late C19. Carved arms of Pennyman impaling
Atherton, eroded, over right projecting bay window; metal
sundial above door c1900 with Latin motto `Vigila oraque' and
INTERIOR: tower porch has ashlar wall on left with 3
round-headed niches. Electric lift inserted in left turret.
Ground-floor hall oak panelled, with stone arcade of 2
elliptical arches running from porch to rear service passage;
Corinthian capitals and base spurs to round piers with
entasis; richly carved spandrels and keystones, with vines,
trefoil leaves, grotesques and coats of arms - one of
At right, new door broken through for passage to rear;
panelling re-used to block door to front right room.
Late C19 stone fire at rear left has C17 style arcaded wood
overmantel and shallow wood hood. Wide beams front-back;
Keyed round arch at rear, to right of service passage, to
early C18 open well stair in rear wing with 2 urn and skittle
balusters on each tread, shaped tread ends, ramped grip
handrail and turned newels; some renewed balusters; panelled
ramped dado. Original stair was probably in left tower.
Kitchen to left of service passage has narrow and wide
elliptical firearches in front wall; dairy to left shows
external masonry now within dairy and blocked yard arch. First
floor has front to rear panelled passage on lines of beams in
Attics show right tower closet has chamfered jambs to door,
with stops cut away; central tower has C20 door; left tower
has wall removed for insertion of access to lift, but beam cut
away shows position of door. Attic probably originally a long
gallery. Central dormer in each side has C17 hinges to
casements. Many C18 6-panel doors throughout; C17 L- and
H-hinges in attic floor. Roof shows collar and purlins as of
HISTORY: Royal Flying Corps quarters during WWI; Army quarters
during WWII; school 1948-58.
(Cleveland County Council: Typescript notes `Marske Hall';
VCH: Yorkshire North Riding, vol II, 1923: 399-40).
Listing NGR: NZ6329422375
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.