Former Storehouse Number 2 and Former Rigging Store, Chatham
Description: Former Storehouse Number 2 and Former Rigging Store
Date Listed: 13 August 1999
English Heritage Building ID: 476538
OS Grid Reference: TQ7578368951
OS Grid Coordinates: 575783, 168951
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3924, 0.5252
Location: Cottage Road, Strood, Medway ME4 4SX
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument, Chatham Dockyard, Rigging House No 1 and Storehouse No 2, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
TQ 7568 NE CHATHAM ANCHOR WHARF
(East side) Chatham Dockyard
Former Storehouse No.2
and Former Rigging Store
Warehouse and rigging store. 1793-96. Brick with stone dressings and a slate hipped roof.
PLAN: rectangular single-depth plan. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and basement, with attics in 3 sections; 3:13:5:13:3- window range. A symmetrical block has taller end and central sections, with ground-floor plat band, cornice and overhanging eaves, the middle block has the central 3-window section set forward.
3-storey sections have middle 3-bays set forward and hoist bays to middle of outer 5-bay sections with double doors and braced iron pivot hoists to the side of the top doors. Rubbed brick flat arches to 8/8-pane sashes and 4/8-pane second-floor sashes. End returns have single round-arched hoist bays with double doors and top 5-light lunette. A C20 bridge connects with the N end of Storehouse No.3 (qv) to the first and second floor hoist bays, replacing an original bridge. At the south end of the east elevation is a mid C19 extension, linked to the west wall of the ropery (qv), with gauged red brick semicircular arches providing access to throughway and internal late C19 iron trusses.
INTERIOR: divided into a series of 3-bay timber frames, of very heavy scantling. Some tin-lined ceilings and solid double cast-iron panelled doors between firebreak walls. The internal posts set close together down the axis, with a railed route for wagons between.
HISTORY: the N half was a Fitted Rigging House, and the S half for storage. Part of the longest warehouse range in Britain, and with Storehouse No.3 and surviving examples at Portsmouth naval dockyard it is certainly one of the most significant examples of industrial warehousing in Europe: they predate the large early C19 warehouse stacks of the London docks. There were formally pediments to the centre of the lower sections.
Built during the extensive late C18 rebuilding of the dockyard, and with the N warehouse and Ropery (qqv), part of a fine group of Georgian naval dockyard btJildings. The use of tin represents an early attempt at fireproofing in industrial buildings.
(Sources: Coad J: Historic Architecture of Chatham Dockyard 1700-1850: London: 1982: 160 ; MacDougall P: The Chatham Dockyard Story: Rainham: 1987: 91 ; The Buildings of England: Newman J: West Kent and the Weald: London: 1976: 205; Dockland an illustrated historical survey of life and work: Tucker M: Warehouses in Docklands: London: 1986: 21-31).
Listing NGR: TQ7578268963
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.