Friends Meeting House, Camden
Description: Friends Meeting House
Date Listed: 11 January 1999
English Heritage Building ID: 478207
OS Grid Reference: TQ2639386088
OS Grid Coordinates: 526393, 186088
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5595, -0.1781
Location: Hampstead Square, Camden Town, Greater London NW3 1DR
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
TQ2686SW HEATH STREET
798-1/16/820 (East side)
Friends Meeting House
Society of Friends (Quaker) Meeting House. 1907. By Frederick
Rowntree. Stucco with brick ground floor to left hand return.
Tiled gabled roof with tall buttressed chimney-stack on
return. Arts and Crafts Free Style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement. Gabled Heath Street facade
with semicircular timber porch of distyle-in-antis columns,
their pedestals on the 2nd of 3 stone steps, supporting a deep
entablature with copper half-dome; panelled doors, part-glazed
with small panes, and brass handles. To right, a transom and
mullion window with glazing bars. Similarly detailed Venetian
style window at 1st floor level. Left hand return to Hampstead
Square with grilled semi-basement windows; left hand gabled
bay with 3 2-light square-headed casements in shallow
segmental-arched recesses with louvred shutters and a keyed
oculus in the apex, all with small panes; right hand bay with
a single and a 3-light window and a box dormer breaking
through over-hanging eaves, all with glazing bars.
INTERIOR: plain with Arts and Crafts detailing. A small lobby
leads into a hall with a motif of shallow arches around the
walls. 1st floor library with fireplace.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Frederick Rowntree was an architect member of
the famous Quaker chocolate manufacturing family from
Yorkshire, who designed a series of Friends' Meeting Houses
around the country.
Listing NGR: TQ2639686084
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.