Monument to Alfred Stevens in Highgate (Western) Cemetery, Camden
Description: Monument to Alfred Stevens in Highgate (Western) Cemetery
Date Listed: 11 January 1999
English Heritage Building ID: 478252
OS Grid Reference: TQ2833486978
OS Grid Coordinates: 528334, 186978
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5671, -0.1498
Location: Hillway, Camden Town, Greater London N6 6PJ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
TQ2886NW SWAIN'S LANE
798-1/12/1788 (West side)
Monument to Alfred Stevens in
Highgate (Western) Cemetery
Monument to Alfred Stevens, d.1875. Coved Renaissance style
sarcophagus of Portland stone with fish-scale ornament,
covered with cast-iron slab with raised lettering, by James
Gamble. Epitaph refers to Stevens as 'ARTIST AND SCULPTOR...
THE MONUMENT TO THE DUKE OF WELLINGTON IN ST PAUL'S CATHEDRAL
IS HIS WORK'.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Stevens was the leading exponent of the
Renaissance style in mid-Victorian England; the Wellington
monument (completed 1912) was his masterpiece. This
sarcophagus is a version of that within the Wellington
monument and was executed by Stevens's assistant.
(Towndrow KR: Alfred Stevens: London: -1939: 257).
Listing NGR: TQ2833486978
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.