If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Warren House
Date Listed: 15 December 1999
English Heritage Building ID: 479388
OS Grid Reference: TQ2023770829
OS Grid Coordinates: 520237, 170829
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4237, -0.2720
TQ 27 SW WARREN ROAD
59/2/10053 Warren House
Small country house, now conference centre, 1860's for Hugh Hammersley, extended 1884-6 by George Devey for George Grenfell Glyn, Lord Wolverton. Red brick, that of 1860's with burnt brick diaper work, and decorative brickwork. Stone dressings. Tile Roofs. Mostly original metal frame windows and fittings. Asymmetrical plan, 1860 subrectangular with forward wings and canted rear bays. 1884 extended southern wing and loggia, added single storey north wing, tower and service wing, reordered and extended entrance. Single storey, two storeys and attics and three storeys. Entrance front. Stone outer porch with moulded arch beneath square hood mould, crest above, set forward from three storey gabled wing with three- light stone mullioned window at each upper storey. Stone and flush brick ornamental relieving arches, diaper brickwork. To right, canted hall in two storeys surmounted by stone balustrade, window in form of three bay open arcade with shaped shafts, three- light mullion and transomed window at upper floor. Tall brick stack with facetted shafts, moulded bands and caps. Right return, open four bay arcade as west front, sundial dated 1884, at upper storey. To rear three stage square tower with finials at angles and iron balustrade. Outer porch lined with stone blind arcade . Moulded arch to inner porch. Doorway: stone moulded architrave, moulded keystone, crest above. Panelled doors are replicas reusing original door furniture. Stone grid floor with herringbone brick infill. Former entrance front now set back overlooking small courtyard, contained by south wing and C20 wing. Service wing and courtyard to left: 1880's two storey gabled wing treated as main building, upper floor oriel window, link wall enclosing service courtyard, depressed arched entrance, stone coping. South front, four uneven bays, each with gable of different proportion. Left two bays dated 1884. All two storeys and attics. Tall offset stack with grouped flues between 1860 and 1884 build. Diaper brickwork to 1860 work. All windows stone mullion and transoms, except to third floor where three- light mullion. Left hand canted bay of two storeys.. Right bay two storeys, canted, ground floor windows under shaped heads, mullions appearing as shafts. Flush brick relieving arches. Door with flanking lights similarly treated. Stone storey band continuing to east front. East front: mostly 1865, ground floor added canted bay, and C20 tall brick stack. Five irregular bays,marked by three tall lateral stacks. First bay as south front, second bay canted over two storeys with added dormer set into angled roof. Ground floor shaped mullion and transom windows as south front, above, plain square headed mullion and transoms, 3-lights to each face of the bay. Three gabled bays, central bay of elevation with large 6-light mullion and double transom stair window at first floor. Four light casement above. Right hand two bays probably pushed out at ground floor, later C19 by Devey; at first floor, paired mullion and transom windows under pointed stone relieving arches, at second floor 3-light mullion. To right first floor 3-light mullion and transom, second floor casement both with flush brick relieving arches. Single storey extension 1884-6, red brick, stone dressings, stone balustrade. Entrance to former dining room under deep stone hood, extended keystone. Depressed arched doorway and flanking windows, each with keystone, occulus above. Pair of doors, upper panels glazed. Canted bay with simple stone mullion and transom windows.
Interior: 1880's square panelled entrance hall with chimney piece. Inner hall, closed string open well stair, exuberant foliate balustrade, square newels, ornate ball finials, gadrooned drop finials. Full square panelling in lower hall, part panelled to upper landing. Integral moulded doorcases and panelled doors. Timber and brass radiator cover with Corinthian columns at angles, gadrooned frieze. Three ground floor rooms with panelled walls, chimney pieces, panelled doors and over panels, some with crests, restrained classical mouldings, possibly C20. Former ballroom, said to be based on the Halle des Glaces, Versailles, baroque frieze and ceiling mouldings, supported on debased Corinthian columns. Adjoining Music Room (room 6) now has replica pair of doors to ballroom. Former dining room, now drawing room, extended by Devey, square panelling to frieze height, chimney piece with lozenge panelled overmantle, moulded rib ceiling. Persian Room, one wall now missing, Angle chimney piece in plaster and timber set with oriental tiles, said to have been acquired by Lady Wolverton, Islamic inspired dado and door panels, the latter set with stones. Top light altered with inserted coloured glass. Formerly draped in silk. Billiard room. Richly moulded doorcase and door, fielded panelled dado. Angle chimney piece, richly carved timber around four centre arched stone lining. Canted roof with exposed ribs, coloured glass panel. Formerly led to conservatory terminating in grotto. First floor 1880's bedrooms, classically detailed, retaining chimney pieces; earlier bedrooms perhaps refitted early C20. Marble lined bathroom retaining c1900 fittings.
Attached to south, nine bay loggia, with two bay link to house and two smaller bays to south. Stone arcades, now enclosed internally and raised to house air conditioning unit. Formerly contained six 1880's Della Robbia rondels now resited on C20 extension and within house.
Jill Allibone, George Devey, Architect 1820 - 1886, 1991
Listing NGR: TQ2023770829
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.