Church of St George (Roman Catholic), Worcester
Description: Church of St George (Roman Catholic)
Date Listed: 22 May 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 489104
OS Grid Reference: SO8509155182
OS Grid Coordinates: 385091, 255182
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1947, -2.2195
Location: Sansome Walk, Worcester WR1 1UG
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SO8555SW SANSOME PLACE
620-1/13/249 (East side)
22/05/54 Church of St George (Roman
Church. 1829 with later alterations including those to chancel of
1880 and west facade of 1887. Architect Henry Rowe with
alterations probably by S J Nicholl. Ashlar facade to west,
otherwise pinkish-red brick with red brick window arches and
STYLE: west facade is in Italianate Baroque style. PLAN: nave and
EXTERIOR: single tall storey, 3 bays. Central bay breaks
forwards. Plinth. To centre bay the lower stage is rusticated,
drawn into voussoirs over central entrance, 2 roll-edged steps to
8-panel double doors, fanlight with decorative ironwork grille,
in stepped reveals. Mid-stage band surmounted by 'plinth' with
bulbous balusters as apron to central window; 'plinth' surmounted
to ends of outer bays by composite pilasters and to centre bay by
paired, three-quarter engaged composite columns. Crowning
entablature and central dentil pediment inscribed 'IHS'. Three
round-arched windows with honeycombed glazing to centre and
stained glass, in tooled architraves and with pediments on
corbels, that to centre with keystone. North and south sides have
5 windows under flat arches of gauged brick and with coloured
INTERIOR: gallery to west, north and south sides; curved
staircases to either side at west end with sticks and carved
tread ends to gallery on two Ionic columns. Stepped benches to
gallery. Cornice has egg-and-dart and acanthus moulding; moulding
to centre of ceiling nd 3 ceiling roses with acanthus motifs.
Screen to east end has two fluted columns to centre with
honeysuckle frieze and wide opening between 2 smaller openings;
coloured marble reredos.
HISTORICAL NOTE: This is a robust example characteristic of those
which manifested the confidence of the Catholic community after
the Catholic Emancipation Act of 1829, which caused constraints
on public worship. Sir Edward Elgar was organist here during
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Worcestershire:
Harmondsworth: 1968-1985: 319).
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.