Description: The Wharrie Cabmans Shelter
Date Listed: 24 October 2002
English Heritage Building ID: 489820
OS Grid Reference: TQ2709385366
OS Grid Coordinates: 527093, 185366
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5529, -0.1683
798-1/0/10194 ROSSLYN HILL
24-OCT-02 The Wharrie Cabman's Shelter
The Wharrie Cabman's Shelter
Cabman's shelter. 1935 by Elisabeth Scott of Scott, Chesterton and Shepherd. Elm boarding on cedar frame, standing on concrete legs. Metal windows. Single storey kiosk on Coffee-stall with shelter to right. Deep eaves with decorative panels underneath. Mosaic panel designed by John Cooper set into floor in front of counter dated April 1935 and inscribed THE WHARRIE SHELTER, depicting taxi-related objects in a Cubist-influenced composition.
HISTORY: this kiosk was donated by Mary Wharrie, daughter of Sir Henry Harben, first Mayor of Hampstead. It replaced an earlier structure on this prominent site, which had been given to the Borough of Hampstead by the Harbens. It is a very unusual structure, designed in a Modern Movement vein, with a mosaic of high quality. The paintwork to doors and window frames was originally painted in red and yellow. Scott (1898-1972) had gained her reputation through winning the 1928 competition for the Shakespeare Memorial Theatre at Stratford-upon-Avon.
SOURCES: The Architect and Building news, 17th May 1935, 170 & 190-91; Hampstead & Highgate Express, 22 November 1996.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.