Church of England Chapel, Margate
Description: Church of England Chapel
Date Listed: 16 January 2003
English Heritage Building ID: 489949
OS Grid Reference: TR3515069236
OS Grid Coordinates: 635150, 169236
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3735, 1.3773
Location: Manston Road, Margate, Kent CT9 4NL
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
878/0/10036 Church of England Chapel, Margate Ceme
Cemetery chapel, one of a pair. Built by Birch of Margate in 1856, builder G Hadlow. Early English style. Kentish ragstone rubble with stone dressings, tiled roof with terracotta ridge tiles and gabled bellcote with finial to west end (bell missing).
EXTERIOR: West end has trefoil window above arched doorcase with colonnettes. Ornamental ironmongery to door. Buttresses. South side has two gables with trefoil-shaped finials and double trefoliated windows with quatrefoil above and buttresses. North side has a gable and gabled transept with double arched trefoil window with quatrefoil above. East window is traceried with triple trefoil window with two trefoils and quatrefoil above.
INTERIOR: Of two bays with arch-braced roof with purlins and ridgepiece supported on moulded stone corbels. There is plank dado panelling, wooden pews, tiled floor and an original table altar with chamfered supports. The east wall has wall paintings executed in 1905 by Gordon Hill in the style of Dante Gabriel Rossetti. These comprise an angel bearing palms to the right, an angel with crown to the left, stencilled decoration with centred "fleur de lys" and, at the apex of the gable, two angels flanking a central cross.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.