Drake Family Mausoleum, Woking
Description: Drake Family Mausoleum
Date Listed: 23 July 2004
English Heritage Building ID: 492724
OS Grid Reference: SU9592256279
OS Grid Coordinates: 495922, 156279
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2976, -0.6256
Location: St Margaret Avenue, Surrey GU24 0BJ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
71/0/10035 Drake Family Mausoleum, Brookwood Ceme
Mausoleum to Sir Wiliam Richard Drake (d.1890). Designer unknown. Limestone and sandstone, pink granite shafts, remains of glass mosaic decoration to frieze, wrought iron gates.
DESCRIPTION: this mausoleum comprises a rectangular cell with arcaded sides, four arched openings per side, and a triple-arched west end with low gates. Above a moulded base is a dado of pink-brown sandstone; paired granite shafts with crocketed capitals support the springing of the arches, also of sandstone, which are decorated with cable mouldings. The upper part of the structure comprises a pedimented roof over a densely bracketed cornice. The floor of the structure has a cross-incised slab to the centre. The inner rear wall is tripartite, echoing the opposite entrance wall, with engaged shafts carrying a sandstone frieze. The wall surface is enriched with floral relief decoration around circular fields: these are now empty, but probably contained bronze panels. To the centre is the Drake coat of arms, over an inscription which reads TYME TRYETHE TRUTHE. The roof has fallen in.
HISTORY: Drake (1817-1890) was a lawyer and connoisseur, involved with both the Burlington Fine Arts Club and with the formation of the Murano Glass & Mosiac Company in 1869, an offshoot of the Salviati firm. The once prominent employment of mosaic to the frieze inscription is now sadly depleted. A very unusual late Victorian mausoleum in the Lombardic manner, reflecting Drake's aesthetic interests.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.