Pulhamite Rock Islet in Lake at Milton Mount Gardens (Former Worth Park), Crawley
Description: Pulhamite Rock Islet in Lake at Milton Mount Gardens (Former Worth Park)
Date Listed: 1 May 2008
English Heritage Building ID: 504453
OS Grid Reference: TQ2936938299
OS Grid Coordinates: 529369, 138299
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1294, -0.1525
Location: St Hugh's Close, Crawley, West Sussex RH10 3HL
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
1008/0/10018 MILTON MOUNT AVENUE
01-MAY-08 Pulhamite rock islet in lake at Milton
Mount Gardens (former Worth Park)
Artificial island constructed c.1884-1887 by the firm of James Pulham and Son as part of the gardens constructed by them for Sir Francis Abraham Montefiore at Worth Park. Pulhamite cement over a core of clinker and scrap brickwork.
DESCRIPTION: An irregularly-shaped Pulhamite artificial rock islet in the east part of the lake, about 3m across with 3m visible above the waterline. The lowest section is of small rocks with some brickwork visible. Above this is a band of larger rocks surmounted by a set-back band of narrow rocks. At the top is an irregularly-shaped mass of larger rocks with a planting pocket, out of which a large tree is growing.
HISTORY: The area occupied by Worth Park and its gardens was originally part of the forest of Worth, stretching from Slaugham to Worth, part of the Warenne lands since the Norman Conquest. In 1850, Sir Joseph Montefiore, a prominent London banker purchased the Worth Park estate, but the original house was destroyed by fire three years later. In its place a grand red mansion was built, shown on the 1879 Ordnance Survey map. Between 1884-87 his son Sir Francis Abraham Montefiore rebuilt and extended the mansion, built a new stable block and at the same time employed the firm of James Pulham and Son to construct the gardens. These were laid out on four levels to accommodate a sloping site, utilising the firm's Pulhamite artificial rock and pre-cast garden ornaments made of stone-coloured terracotta material. The Pulhamite islet in the lake is one of the most substantial and intact of these original 1880s garden features.
SOURCES: "Country Life" Sept.30th 1899. pp.400-05.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
* This 1880s Pulhamite artificial rock islet in the lake to the former Worth Park survives in good condition.
* It is one of a series of substantial remaining garden structures constructed by the firm of James Pulham within Worth Park, later Milton Mount Gardens.
* It is situated within a publicly accessible landscape which is of local interest.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.