Description: Trebeigh Manor
Date Listed: 26 November 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 61356
OS Grid Reference: SX3040967132
OS Grid Coordinates: 230409, 67132
Latitude/Longitude: 50.4794, -4.3916
SX 36 NW ST IVE
7/155 Trebeigh Manor
Manor house now farmhouse with store on south. Circa late C16. Rubblestone rendered
on south front. Slate and asbestos slate roof with hipped end to main range and
galvanised roof to projecting wing on right with gable end. Rubblestone stack on
right-hand hipped end and 2 slate hung rubblestone stacks with moulded caps on
left-hand hipped end and to gabled rear lateral hall stack. 'L' shaped plan with
projecting front wing now used as dairy and store. Main range probably 3 room and
through passage plan with hall in centre. Passage blocked with later staircase.
Later outshuts added to rear. 2 storeys, regular 5 window front.
Ground floor of main range with 6-pane French window on left, late C19 3-light
casement near centre in granite mullioned. hall window opening extended at base.
Triple roll moulded jambs. C20 porch in angle with projecting wing on right.
Rendered with lean-to slate roof. Continuous hoodmould above ground floor. Three
C19 3-light casements with glazing bars on first floor. Central light of right-hand
window replaced. Projecting wing on right-hand side with several blocked openings
and straight joints. Ground floor with 2-light casement with iron stanchion bars
beneath brick segmental arch. Near centre, plank door with large granite quoins and
timber lintel. Straight joint to right. To right, partly blocked opening in granite
surround with moulded granite jambs. Hoodmould above with carved labels. Above, C19
3-light casement on left beneath timber lintel. Opening to left of centre much
altered, in larger opening. Rubblestone buttress on south east corner with granite
dressings. To rear, window to left of projecting lateral stack 3-light casement with
glazing bars in granite surround with moulded granite jambs as on front.
Interior: Hall fireplace blocked. First floor with moulded granite frame to niche at
top of stairs. Base of jambs decorated with combination of nail-head and dog-tooth
patterns. Roof structure not inspected. Directly south of entrance 2 pieces of
circa C17 carved slate. Several pieces of carved granite possibly associated with
preceptory including a Maltese Cross in a granite window frame.
Domesday manor, held wrongfully by Count of Mortain who had taken it from the church.
In 1150 King Stephen gave the Knights Templars the Manor of Trebeigh together with
Temple on Bodmin Moor, forming the Preceptory of Trebeigh. The Preceptory was given
the advowson of the parish church of St Ive. In 1312 the Knights Hopitallers became
the new owners. Accounts found in Malta for the Hospitallers of St Ive in 1338
record dovecotes, honey and the prices of animals and grain. Dissolved in c1534 but
restored again in 1557 by Queen Mary. In 1573 the manor was granted to Henry Wilbye
and George Blyke. John Wrey then acquired Trebeigh making it the chief residence of
the Wrey family until the mid C17. Under the Earl of Moreton, and his successors the
manor enjoyed almost royal privileges with its own court Leet with Stewart, bailiff
and prison bailiff and prison.
Ed. J. Morris Domesday Book 1086 rp 1979
J Polsue Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1867-73, rp 1974
J S Wenmoth 'The Historic Stone' Parish Pump 1980
Listing NGR: SX3040967132
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.