Description: Barjarg House
Date Listed: 3 August 1971
Historic Scotland Building ID: 10220
OS Grid Coordinates: 287792, 590049
Latitude/Longitude: 55.1919, -3.7641
Complex mansion, beginning with much altered possibly 16th
century L-plan tower house (now at north east angle);
gallery; cupola over square stair well; some decorative additions/alterations at various dates including circa 1680,
1806 and 1914 (last by J M Bowie of Dumfries). Corresponding
duplicate tower (built to include stables) to west, and
these linked by (lower) 3-storey, 5-bay north-facing range
with canted central bay, all thus forming roughly U-plan
house with symmetrical north elevation. Ballroom addition to
south of original tower, some alterations (mullioned and
transoned windows to east) and internal re-ordering 1914
(dated). All rubble-built with ashlar dressings, crow-
stepped gables, corbelled bartizans and parapets.
Original tower: 4 storeys with attic (openings regularised)
door in re-entrant anlge, with yett; conical-roofed
bartizans over north gable are raised/partly rebuilt;
parapet, crow-stepped dormer and inserted east-facing
mullioned window all added 1914; stair turret to south
probably 17th century.
Duplicate tower: (similar - not identical - to original
tower) chequer-blocking above dummy gun loop in north gable
and at original wallhead; conical-roofed bartizans over
north gable raised/partly rebuilt; 2 tall kitchen windows to
east elevation rise through 2-storeys; addition (' circa 1806)
to south, with segmental-arched carriageway to rear court.
Inner range: advanced and canted central entrance bay
possibly built circa 1806; present doorway by Bowie,
remaining openings hood-moulded; slits in flanks; tripartites
in moulded architraves to top floor; remaining bays with
single windows. Small-paned glazing pattern throughout -
windows mostly sashes. Detached conical-roofed (') game
larder to south built above rear court and approached by
ramp from west. Coped stacks throughout; all roofs slated.
Interior: original tower vaulted at ground-floor; extensive
oak panelling by Bowie, including ballroom with minstrel's
plaster-work in dining and drawing rooms. Balustraded
terrace walls around house by Bowie.
Information from owner.
RCAHM INVENTORY, 1920 no. 327
Building sequence difficult to interpret.
Symmetrical north front with duplicate tower possibly
established late 17th century, but central block and
duplicate tower house are of different dates, & owner
believes inner range to be 1806. North front appears
roughly as now existing in Swan's view (pub 1829), &
duplicate tower is dated 1680 over original door lintel on a
(' reset) panel; if duplicate tower is relatively late in
date, some stonework, eg bartizan corbels is re-used. RHP
22364 in SRO is dated 1763 and shows an east and a west
range, the former L-plan, with wings to north and to south.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.